Search for content in message boards

Searching for anyone that knew my Father.

Searching for anyone that knew my Father.

JIM AllFORD (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2004 12:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Feb 2010 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: Allford
His name is FRED CHARLES ALLFORD and lived in Pittston, Pa. I don't know if he belonged to any clubs like the V.F.W. or American Legion. He was in the Navy, the Korean War. He died at the age of 28 and I was only 4 years old. I would appreciate any kind of information I could find on him. Thanks, JIM ALLFORD [SON OF FRED CHARLES ALLFORD.]

Re: Searching for anyone that knew my Father.

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 1:55AM GMT
Edited: 29 Sep 2005 3:29AM GMT
There are a Fred and Mary Jane Allford, with Stephen Miller, stepson, living in Luzerne Cty PA, Miner's Mills Boro in 1920; this is the closest I got to your Fred Charles.

If he was in the military and you are his son, and he is deceased, you can apply to get his military records at www.nara.gov. You can also apply for census records after 1940 at the NARA site.

Try looking for his name at www.familysearch.org for SSDI or other records and work from that point on.

Good luck to you.

Posted: 24 Feb 2010 12:58AM GMT
Edited: 25 Feb 2010 4:59PM GMT
Surnames: Alford, Price
I have a Frederick Alford in my tree. Mother Ann Price. Father Samuel Alford. Siblings Hannah, Lydia, Samuel, Miranda, Joseph, Frederick b. 1868, Charles. Lived in Pittson. If this is your family, let me know.

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 6:59PM GMT
you should include your father's NAME in the Subject line.... to catch people's eye...otherwise they might not read your message.

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 7:07PM GMT
why not call this guy through Penn State Univ Press. he might be somehow related to your family?

Fred C. Alford - Civil Society and its Discontents - The Good Society 12:1 The Good Society 12.1 (2003) 11-16 Civil Society and its Discontents C. Fred Alford I have spent the last two years listening to whistleblowers, and attending their support groups. The experience influences how I view the civil society discussion in our discipline. The most striking thing about the whistleblowers I spoke with was how alone they were, and not by choice. All had been abandoned by their professional associations, almost all by their religious groups. The experience has made me critical of much of the literature on civil society. It has made me wonder whether many of the associations praised by Robert Putnam and others don't have the quality of a hobby: worthwhile activities that help overcome anomie, but otherwise have little to do with politics. If, that is, we define politics as concerned with power and freedom. Civil society is said to promote social capital, James Coleman's phrase that Putnam (2000, 18-19) adopts to refer to generalized reciprocity, the willingness to trust others. But, whether social capital is good depends on whose capital it is, and what it serves to produce. Putnam (288) says that "economists . . . have demonstrated how social capital translates into financial capital and resource wealth for business and self-governing units." Tom Tyler (1998, 290) writes that "governments benefit from receiving the willing compliance of their citizens....

The Good Society
Volume 12, Number 1, 2003
E-ISSN: 1538-9731 Print ISSN: 1089-0017
DOI: 10.1353/gso.2003.0020
Alford, C. Fred.
Civil Society and its Discontents
The Good Society - Volume 12, Number 1, 2003, pp. 11-16

Penn State University Press

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 8:21PM GMT
Have you sent for his military service records? If you know the names of ships he served on, there might be web sites dedicated to those ships and you could post a notice.

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 8:34PM GMT
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/ge...

this link tells you how to order his service record from the National Archives.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 3:36PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. There is a very good chance that was him. My Mom's name was Kathleen Miquel/White when they were married. I heard he was raised by a Miller, but don't know his first name. I do have a picture of him. Would you like to see a picture of him? I hope you'll keep in touch. This just might be the same family. I want to hear from relatives on his side. I don;t know any of them, Thank you very much again.

Posted: 9 Apr 2012 3:40PM GMT
Hello, Please to meet you. My Dad's name is spelled with "2 LL'S"....not one L. There is a big difference there. I realize this mistake is always made. Regardless, I hope to hear from you. I would really love to meet people related to me on my Dad's side, since I don't know anyone on his side. Please keep in touch. Peace, Jim

Posted: 23 Apr 2012 9:55PM GMT
I found a Fred Alford in 1910 census living with Mary J. in Miner's Mill. Also Fred Allford 1920 Miner's Mill, 46 yrs old. You said he was only 28 when he died. When was he born?

per page

Find a board about a specific topic