Search for content in message boards

PIERRE (Peter) RAYMOND b.5/7/1826 Longueuil, Chambly????

PIERRE (Peter) RAYMOND b.5/7/1826 Longueuil, Chambly????

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 2:07AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Mar 2012 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: RAYMOND PATNODE
I have hit a brick wall. I cannot find anything about his birth or family members in Canada. He immigrated to Minnesota in 1850-51. It is like he didn't exist until the 1860s when he shows up in Corcoran, MN & marries Philomene Patnode.

Any help or direction to search would be greatly appreciated. He is my gr gr grandfather

Re: PIERRE (Peter) RAYMOND b.5/7/1826 Longueuil, Chambly????

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 3:21AM GMT
The first question is: do you have the marriage for Pierre/Peter Raimond/Raymond to Philomene Patenaude?

They were married in Minnesota, correct? This is the record you need to find.

Where to find the marriage? follow the bride.......the marriage record has the answer of who his parents were. You can back into the marriage by looking for baptismal records of their children.

You need this record to determine his and her parentage, that's the deal, cause there was not "one" Pierre Raymond" born in Quebec in the time period you seek, more like 50 or so from what I'm seeing.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 4:42AM GMT
I know the marriage was 2/7/1860 in corcoran, MN by father Jennie (it was in Peter's Military pension records) - I can't find the actual certificate for it anywhere. On his death certificate, his parents were left blank. I have her traced back for hundreds of years - it's just his parentage that is a big blank.

Posted: 22 Mar 2012 6:13AM GMT
The exact date and place of the marriage will help you to find it, but is irrelevant to a search for his data in Canada.

You are not looking for a marriage certificate, you are looking for the parish and the entry of the marriage in the parish register they were married in.

Were any of their children baptized? If so, where? What church in what town in Minnesota? Do records exist for the church the Patenaude family attended in the period the marriage took place? Have you found any marriage records of other siblings of Philomene Patenaude?

The "hump" to hurtle in all FC research is finding the data on the US side first. This data, for the most part, is not in on-line databases and it may not be on film in the LDS archive. The Catholic Church is very proprietary with its' data, and it takes some work to find the parish registers. Have you attempted to search for the church register in the location where the bride lived?

Once you have the names of the parents from the marriage record, a search in Canada can be executed using on-line dbs. There were numerous Peter Raymonds born in the same period, and Raymond has many "dits". There is simply no way to "guess" which one would be yours.

I wildcarded a search for a bap record for a Pierre Raymond in a 10 year span on either side of 1826, and was returned 58 results, none in the vicinity of Chambly. Now what?

A search only works if you have the parents names, you search their marriage first to establish location and then fill in the children.

A way to back door a search is if you have some siblings, with less common given names.

Posted: 7 May 2012 10:31PM GMT
I believe Pierre (Peter) Raymond and Philamine Patenaude were married at St. Jeanne de Chantal in Corcoran. Unfortunately the church records were lost in a fire.

I found a research paper at the MN Genealogical Society identifying him as Pierre Raymond dit Phocas. I checked with the Association des familles Raymond (Phocas) and they had no record that matched Pierre.

If you look at the Naturalization records a Michael (Michel) Raymond vouched for him. I am not sure of the relation between Michael and Peter.

Posted: 10 May 2012 9:38PM GMT
A possible candidate:

Pierre Phocas dit Raymond

born and baped: 5 May 1828
Kamouraska (St-Louis),Quebec, Canada

Parents: Michel Phocas dit Raymond and Celeste Roy dite Desjardins.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&rank=...

Posted: 16 May 2012 8:19AM GMT
Looking for any information about children of Robert Blair and Adeline Chouinard. My grandfather was Joseph Albert his siblings were Marie Jeanne Elisa, Marie Anne Marianne, Marie Caroline Alice Carry, Joseph David, and Euchre. There may have been others, Adeline states in a 1910 Census in New Hampshire that 12 children were born, but 6 living in 1910. Any information would be great.http://www.linkerds.net

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 3:25PM GMT
I got a copy of Pierre's Veterans Grave Registration from the Minnesota History Society. According to the form Pierre was born in Montreal. It also states he was a member of the GAR, Grand Army of the Republic.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 3:55PM GMT
corydora,

Do you have your data on-line? It helps to see the data in context.

The (location, ie; Montreal) data on the Veterans Grave Registration form is from a secondary source, ie, Pierre Raymond was not the source, it's only as good as the informant's knowledge and memory. In other words, it's a dodgy clue.

The data on the Naturalization document is more reliable. The witness, Michel Raymond may have related, as father or brother. Have you researched for any Michel/Michael Raymond in the same locale during the period of the naturalization?

Seeing the data you have, in context, might help others realize an idea of where to look further.

Posted: 21 Dec 2012 7:08PM GMT
Sorry, as a general rule I don't post online documents that I purchased from nonprofit organization, such as the Minnesota History Society.

I realize a primary source would be preferable; however all the primary sources I have seen only list Canada as Pierre’s place of birth. So I thought it was worth mentioning even if the source is a bit dodgy.

I have not had much luck tracing Michael either. I have also looked at the migration of some of the other French Canadian families in Corcoran hoping for some clues to the origin of the Raymonds but no luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic