Search for content in message boards

Israel Davis -1728- 1788?

Israel Davis -1728- 1788?

Posted: 10 Jun 2011 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Davis
according to his widows pension records he died while conducting business in 1788-89 in either Castine or Eastport. That sounds very odd yet in all my searching I can find NOTHING of his death, or burial. I have loads of info about all his war service...and many of the different places he lived but the post Revolutionary time period is a bit vague.

After his service ended the family moved to Pownalborough...prior to that they were in Boothbay. The historical Society there has been very helpful. Does anoyone have any suggestions or better yet...info on him?

Re: Israel Davis -1728- 1788?

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 1:34AM GMT
I don't have information on him per se though I do have Davis lineage myself from Maine.

I do a lot researching up in Maine and it's always hit or miss. Towns were not legally required to keep records until 1892 when they had to start sending them in to Augusta for keeping. Many towns that had early records had disasters like floods or fires that cause many records before that to be missing. Even today, some smaller towns in Maine don't have established town halls, the records are kept in the Town Clerks actual home so if something happens to the house, the records could be affected.

Posted: 11 Jun 2011 1:47AM GMT
Yes, I realize that things in the "frontier" were not what they were in MA and CT. It just seems odd that there is NO RECORDS that I can find for what actually happened to him.

He was a selectman, a deacon of his church, and a Captain in the Revolution - you think someone would have recorded something in more then one spot. I am hoping it is more of a situation where it is in a record that is not online - that someone will have or find something that is in a file somewhere, at least to narrow it down from Castine to Eastport is a HUGE area to cover.

Posted: 7 Jul 2011 12:32AM GMT
with a tip from a board poster I found an entry that apparently comes from The American Mercury. It states his death as 26 Dec 1788. This is a newspaper out of Hartford Conn.

I searched and it is in many library microfiche collections - non close to me...

Anyone out there a library visitor in Mass or Conn?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic