Search for content in message boards

Message Boards...getting your settings to hold...?

Message Boards...getting your settings to hold...?

Posted: 26 Apr 2012 11:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Between Sept. and Dec. of last year there was a lengthy thread on this board about not being able to get your non-default cookie settings to work. If you changed from the default of 10 messages per page, thread view, to any other selection it would change but then would revert to the default setting as soon as you clicked ANY link in the board system. I haven't seen any post with a "fix" for this and I'm still having the problem.

RootsWeb's HelpDesk is telling me I'm the ONLY one with the problem and that both of my browsers are the issue and that the problem is on my end.

Is anyone else still having trouble with the message board cookies and getting them to hold once selected? I'm betting you are and have just given up rather than pursue the issue...but I'd like to see some comments on this issue if that is the case (or even if you no longer have the problem...I'd like to know that as well).

If you ARE still having the problem please also let the RootsWeb HelpDesk know so that they realize there actually IS a problem. Include information as to which browser you use and the version of that browser.

Thanks!

Joan

Re: Message Boards...getting your settings to hold...?

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 12:44AM GMT
Yes, the problem continues - every time I shut down my browser. This has persisted through Firefox 9-10-11 and now 12. I think, with a little effort, I can identify the specific cookie that gets corrupted (or more likely expires with no automatic renewal).

I'll have to think about whether I want to invest my time as a donation to the very, very poor Ancestry.com

P.S. The "workaround" that I posted many months ago still works for me.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 3:55AM GMT
I hear you loud and clear. I know "tripthroughtime" in another thread stated that at some point Ancestry began treating cookies differently and started maintaining them on their server rather than setting the cookies as they usually would be stored on our computers---and I guessed (but it is only an uneducated guess) that this might be at the root of the problem.

I remember your workaround and tried it but it didn't work for me.

I don't know if Ancestry would be grateful if you volunteered your valuable time to try to help in this matter but I know *I* would. There are actually some lengthy threads where I can't find any reasonable way to view the messages beyond the most recent or the first 10.

Above and beyond all that -- thread view, 10 messages per page as default seems very counter-intuitive--I mean who views the boards that way anyway? If they'd just change the default to 50 messages per page, flat view, newest first I'd be thrilled.

Joan

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 4:16AM GMT
Edited: 27 Apr 2012 2:37PM GMT
I'll try to figure it out - just for you :-)

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 8:03AM GMT
Joan,

The workaround works for me in FF. I.E., delete all acom cookies, log out, and then restart browser. Then navigate to a message board and change to flat view. Then hit your favorites bookmark and set number of boards to 25 or 50. If you use OS still you will then have to enable that and also whatever viewer you like.

If you or others don't normally don't use FF, perhaps this is a good time to add it, along with NoScript and Adblock+. And get the Multirow Bookmarks Toolbar too (which now tries to force adware but which is blocked by NS and AB).

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 8:07AM GMT
Mike-

I DO use Firefox, IE, and the AOL browser (latest version) -- and have not been able to get any workwaround to work for me. The problsm seems to be that these cookies are not being maintained on our computers but rather on the Ancestry server. At least that is what I've been told by staff who had a "look" at this issue so far.

Joan

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 10:19AM GMT
Very worrying if RootsWeb's HelpDesk is telling me I'm the ONLY one with the problem.

I know I have complained to them and posted in threads here.

Do they presume faults have gone away if you don't report them every day?

I can't understand why there cannot just be a set of Preferences for each user which can be edited by the user so no dependence on cookies. Then you would get your preferred setting whenever you connected completely independent of the computer being used.

Not just Ancestry but you get ridiculous statements like "Delete all your cookies" or "Accept all cookies". If they want me to delete or accept some cookies then they need to say which ones (this does not only apply to Ancestry) but I think there is too much dependence on cookies especially as many people limit because of the increased use of cookies for commercial purposes.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:17AM GMT
Joan, you are not alone, my browser recently started this behavior. Mike's instructions did fix it for me.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 11:38AM GMT
Joan,

I believe the sticky-cookie maintained on the Ancestry.com server was exclusively the one for user-default Search preference (Old or New). This was oft-requested.

My FF browser removes all main cookies when it is closed. However, it maintains "session" cookies such as message board number-to-view and flat/thread-view after selected for each session.

This may be a basic something you have done, but have you set your browser to allow and keep session cookies?

Tools > Options > select to accept cookies and select "until I close Firefox". Look at "exceptions" opposite the "site cookies" check box and make sure the Ancestry.com and rootsweb.com message boards are not on the list of cookie-originators to exclude.

Posted: 27 Apr 2012 2:01PM GMT
I not only allow session cookies in Firefox, IE, and the AOL browser but I allow other cookies as well including 3rd party cookies. Then I clean them out from time to time--and in this case that is what got me into trouble with the board settings.

I would disagree about the old vs. new search--I have NO trouble maintaining that setting and never have. The problem is with the cookie that maintain user defaults for the message boards on both the Ancestry and RootsWeb side.

Joan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic