Search for content in message boards

swede looking for lost relatives

swede looking for lost relatives

Ann-Britt Henningsson (View posts)
Posted: 934113600000
Classification: Query
Hello,

I have a collection of letters from the start of this century up to 1950. These letters were written to my grandfather in Sweden from relatives in North Henderson. Their names were Oscar and Augusta Swanson. Oscar was born 1873 and died 1950, They had two sons Carl and Thure.

i belive that there could still be relatives in the area. I would appreciate any information.

Best regards
Ann-Britt Henningsson
Sweden

Re: swede looking for lost relatives

Posted: 1283020347000
Surnames: Swanson, Peterson
I have some family history in Aledo, Illinois. My great-grandfather was August Swanson, and his wife (my great-grandmother) Anna Peterson. I haven't been able to find much information on any of August's family beyond his spouse and children. I believe there were other family members in the Mercer County area. Do you have any other names or dates? Maybe there is a connection in there somewhere.

Posted: 1293834599000
Surnames: Swanson, Samuelson
Probably a faint hope, but do you have a Charles or Carl Johan Swanson in your family? He's my great-grandfather: b. 1862 in Daderhult Parish, Kalmar Province in Sweden and m. Feb. 14, 1889, in Aledo to Anna (Anlowis) Samuelson. We have info about the Samuelsons but no parents or siblings for Charles. Any connection?

Posted: 1293835591000
Surnames: Swanson
Unfortunately, our family that was in Sweden at that time was from another part of Sweden. If you think they were in Mercer County, IL, I'd contact the Mercer County Historical Society, they've helped me a lot.

Good luck!

Posted: 1329364929000
The Lutheran church in aledo was a Swedish church i have gotten some info from their records. The swenson center located at augustana colledge has the Swedish church records from all over. They will research them for a reasonable price. I have a book from the Swedish church in aledo I can look and see if your family is listed.

Posted: 1346719261000
I AM LOOKING FOR A SWANSON OR SWENSEN IN THE MILITARY IN DULUTH MN IN 1955 I WAS TOLD HIS FIRST NAME WAS CHARLES MAY HAVE WENT BY SWEDE HE WOULD HAVE BEEN AROUND TWENTY IN 1955 HE WAS FROM MN IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING CONTACT ME AT STOPMYVETTE@YAHOO.COM THANK YOU JONI

Posted: 1394500164000
Ann-Britt-
What fun, trying to return or find the owner of old letters.. I am a Swanson from Mercer Co, with great grandparents from North Henderson township.. but pretty sure there is no relation... Although I was just told today there were 2 other siblings that came over in 1870 that are not accounted for as Swanson's in Mercer Co, at least not by the names of Peter Johan and Sarah Maria!! Who knows what last name they took..

Did anyone help you with this? I will look at the census, and I have an 88 year old cousin, very sharp and interested in this sort of thing that is a member of the North Henderson Lutheran Church (Swedish on both sides,,all grandparents imigrated from Sweden in the late 1800'.s

Let me know if I should still try to help you. I would love to read any letters about their lives at that time..I will send my email if you would want to e-mail a letter or two to me..
jan swanson

Posted: 1394649195000
Edited: 1394650500000
lfleming5191,

Queries which are a "faint hope" on an Illinois forum might be much easier to solve on the Sweden board.

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.scan-balt.sweden.gener...

The location "Daderhult" is most likely Döderhult. I see this emigration from that parish using a Swedish emigration index called the Emibas CD.

Does this man have the right birthdate (including the day and month) and did he leave Sweden at the right time?

Post 326194

Svensson, Carl Johan Alfred
Arbetare = worker (unmarried man)

b. 1/12/1862 in Döderhult, Kalmar län (Småland)

Emigrated 2/27/1880
from Bredsjömåla Skrikebo, Döderhult, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 661

Emibas migration file ID: Döderhult H 1880 002

This man above may or may not be your ancestor but here is his birth and baptism record.

http://www.arkivdigital.net (subscription, but there is a "free weekend" this coming weekend.

Döderhult C:7 (1861-1879) Image 23 (AID: v37981.b23, NAD: SE/VALA/00065)

This Carl Johan Alfred was the illegitimate (oäkta) son of the female farm worker (pigan) Maria Gustafva Olsdotter who lived at a place in the parish called Smörkullehorfen in that parish. She can be found on page 673 in the household examination book. The mother was 26 years old. Baptism witnesses were also listed.

I don't know if he is yours and I am not at all related.

If you have a full birthdate or at least the month and year of birth from the 1900 US Federal Census, I see at least one more Carl Johan (Carl Johan Emil) born that year (1 May) in that parish who was also illegitimate so I don't know if he could have been Svensson as an adult.

Judy

Edit:

I looked at your tree and you already have him listed with a birthdate of 1 January 1862. Correct the birth parish to Döderhult because Daderhult is not a location in Sweden. You have the mother already.

Attachments:

Posted: 1394650734000
Maria Gustafva Olsdotter was born 30 September 1835 in Döderhult, according to the household examination record.

http://www.arkivdigital.net (subscription)

Döderhult AI:14 (1861-1872) Image 310 / page 673 (AID: v21907.b310.s673, NAD: SE/VALA/00065)
Attachments:

Posted: 1394651232000
Maria Gustafva also emigrated, according to the Emibas CD.

Post 326557

Olsdotter, Maria Gustafva
Widow

b. 9/30/1835 in Döderhult, Kalmar län (Småland)

Emigrated 2/15/1884
from Norrby Knapekullen, Döderhult, Kalmar län (Småland)
to Nordamerika

Source: Household Examination Roll, p. 612

Emibas migration file ID: Döderhult H 1884 008

She was living with her mother in the 1880 Swedish Census CD.

Record 1880-8-52-4231

Karlsdotter, Stina
Inhyseshjon

b. 1813 in Döderhult (Kalmar län, Småland)

Widow, mother

Smörkullehorfva
Döderhult (Kalmar län, Småland)

Place of birth (in the database): Döderhult Kalmar län

Record 1880-8-52-4232

Maria Gustafva

b. 1835 in Döderhult (Kalmar län, Småland)

d.
Widow, child

Smörkullehorfva
Döderhult (Kalmar län, Småland)

Place of birth (in the database): Döderhult Kalmar län

Going back to the household examination page where I found Maria Gustafva and her son Carl Johan Alfred, I see her parents and some siblings listed above her.

Döderhult AI:14 (1861-1872) Image 310 / page 673 (AID: v21907.b310.s673, NAD: SE/VALA/00065)

Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic