Search for content in message boards

Margaret Henry Home in New Castle

Margaret Henry Home in New Castle

Posted: 6 Mar 2010 10:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Could someone please tell me about this Home in New Castle? A six year old child was there, so I am thinking it was some kind of care giving facility.

Thanks Pat

Re: Margaret Henry Home in New Castle

Posted: 22 Mar 2010 4:38PM GMT
Margaret L Henry Children's Home
520 Friendship Street New Castle, PA.
Incorporated 1922. Friendship St. is located on the east side of New Castle and the home is across the street from the former Ben Franklin Jr. High School.

Prior to 1922, it was known as Holy Family Children's Home,
Margret L. Henry in charge. I understand it was an orphanage.

It is presently the site of Golden Hill Nursing Home, which I believe has been there since the late 50's or early 60's.

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 1:06PM GMT
Here is a photo of the home taken in 1903. It was an orphanage.
Attachments:

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 3:02PM GMT
Thanks for the photo. It will be added to my files. A picture, truly is worth a thousand words!

Posted: 11 Jul 2010 3:34PM GMT
My sister-in-law grew up there

Posted: 25 Sep 2010 3:38AM GMT
Hi, I would like to hear from you. My father aunt was Margaret L. Henry. She and her sister were in an orphanage in cleveland at an early age. She was there for 6 years. Then she helped run a home in Cleveland from 1895-1903. She was then sent to New Castle by Society of the Holy Family. She ran the children's home until her death in 1940. I have quite a bit of information about the home. It was sold to DeCarbo and when he attempted to make it into a nursing home it had to be knocked down. Today the Golden Hills Nursing Hokme sits in its place.

Posted: 25 Sep 2010 3:41AM GMT
Hi, do you have any pictures or any other information about the home. It was run by a great aunt of mine. Margaret L. Henry. It was a neat looking older home where one floor was for boys and one for women. One of my dad's cousins met his wife there when she was a an orphan at the home.

Posted: 25 Sep 2010 3:44AM GMT
Hi the home was run by my great aunt, Margaret L. Henry until her death in 1940. I would like to hear anything you may know about the home. I have been to New Castle Library and copied their information and to the historical society.I drove to the site and saw the nursing home thkat is there now.

Posted: 25 Sep 2010 12:22PM GMT
The only information I have been able to assemble is from the Historical Society.

Posted: 27 Sep 2010 12:05PM GMT
Linda,
I can't really give you much more information concerning the home. You seem to be the most knowledgeable of anyone I've come in contact with. Willie DeCarbo currently owns and operates Golden Hill. He may be able help you out with additional info or perhaps even a photo. Have you looked on Ebay for a picture postcard of the home? I don't remember ever seeing one now that I think about it.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic