Search for content in message boards

David Lloyd George

David Lloyd George

Posted: 10 Feb 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Feb 2002 7:33PM GMT
Surnames: Davis, Lloyd, Williams
I am looking for family history regarding the parentage of former British Prime Minister, David Lloyd George. My ggg grandmother, Rachel Lloyd Davis, was related to him. I was told he was a "cousin" to her. An obituary citing the death of one of her daughters, Frisswith Davis Roderick, in 1919, states David Lloyd George, British Premier, as her cousin. I know this relationship stems from David Lloyd George's mother's family. I am familiar with his mother, Elizabeth, her sister, Eleanor and her brother, Richard, as well as her father, David Lloyd (Lloyd George's grandfather). If anyone has any knowledge of additional siblings of Elizabeth or siblings of the grandfather, David Lloyd, please contact me. Based on historical records, this is all the information I have found accessible regarding David Lloyd George's family history. I am very interested to confirm how my ggg grandmother, Rachel Lloyd Davis, is related. NOTE: Her parents are John Lloyd and Jane Williams. Thank you.

Re: David Lloyd George

Leeann Eden (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2002 1:57PM GMT
Surnames: Lloyd Millward
I am also very interested in this family for the same reasons. My g grandfather's mother was a Lloyd (I dont know her christian name) and I was always told we were related to Earl Lloyd George. Can anyone please tell my more about David Lloyd Georges siblings eg Eleanor. My g grandfathers name was Daniel Bowen Millward, so .......? Lloyd married ......?Millward . It is very difficult as I dont have christian names to go on.
Any assistance greatly appreciated
Thank you

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 1:35AM GMT
Elizabeth had a brother by the name of Thomas, born 1826 Staffordshire England.He came to the US in 1860 to Illinois.
He is my gggrandfather. He was very invollved in mining. He had several children including Hiram Lloyd LT Gov of MO, Thomas Lloyd Bellville IL. and Dr. Henry Lloyd of St. Louis. His wife was Hannah Pepper. He was the Uncle of David lloyd George.

If you would like more info, please respond.

Posted: 21 Nov 2008 1:35AM GMT
Elizabeth had a brother by the name of Thomas, born 1826 Staffordshire England.He came to the US in 1860 to Illinois.
He is my gggrandfather. He was very invollved in mining. He had several children including Hiram Lloyd LT Gov of MO, Thomas Lloyd Bellville IL. and Dr. Henry Lloyd of St. Louis. His wife was Hannah Pepper. He was the Uncle of David lloyd George.

If you would like more info, please respond.

Posted: 28 Dec 2008 3:48AM GMT
I too am related to DLG. I believe my g grandmother was his cousin. I have a feeling she was Richard's daughter. But have also heard that he had no children, so I'm very confused! Is there anything you can tell me? My G grandmother's name was Sarah George. She married a Griffiths and after her death, the family moved from Camarthern to Australia, which is where I come in!
Thanks in advance.

Posted: 5 May 2009 5:00AM GMT
Surnames: Williams
My Grandmother, Alice williams,1880-1960

was a cousin of David Lloyd George.
She was born at,
'Fagl', CefnCoch,
Llanrhaeadr Ym Monchant,
Nr Oswestry,
Powys SY10, UK.
I would like to find out how they were related. The name
'Fagl' is the house were she was born and were a cousin of hers still lives.If you could throw light on the connection it would be most interesting. Thank you.

Posted: 21 Jul 2009 2:15AM GMT
I just got your reply to my query...thank you. I've been taking notice that Elizabeth (DLG's mother), Richard & Mary Ellen seem to be the only children documented in all the history books. However, as I'm finding what others have posted, Elizabeth had additional siblings. In addition to your Thomas Lloyd, there's also a Robert Lloyd, according to some others, who is also an uncle to DLG. I'd like to be able to find the resources to verify this information because I'm wondering if my gggrandmother, Rachel Lloyd Davis, may also be a sister. She was born in approx. 1831. She emigrated to U.S. in the early 1850's. The only written clue I have is quoted from the 1918 obituary of one Rachel's daughters, which mentions her (the daughter) as being a cousin of DLG (therefore assuming Rachel is an aunt - but don't know for sure. My gut is telling me that maybe the fathers of Elizabeth and Rachel were brothers). Do you know how many siblings Elizabeth Lloyd had? Did Elizabeth's father, David Lloyd, have any brothers to your knowledge? I'd appreciate it if you could steer me in the right direction. Thank you.

Posted: 23 Jul 2009 1:18PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. Maybe this information can help a little.
I have noted that on my Thomas Lloyd's ( Born:1823) marriage record, that a Reverend Robert Lloyd was officiating. He could be a brother to Thomas and Elizabeth or perhaps an uncle to my Thomas and Elizabeth. I am leaning toward uncle.
I have a logic problem in my line, in this marriage record, it lists Thomas' father as another Thomas. They are both miners, which makes sense. Is this older Thomas a brother of David Lloyd, Elizabeth's father and brother to the Rev Robert Lloyd listed? If so, I have a relation one generation back.
My gggrandfather Thomas (born:1823) was very political- a Chartist party member and miner by trade. He came to the US (Illinois) in 1860 under political pressure. His area of origin was Burslem, Staffordshire.
His son's were very political as well. Hiram Lloyd born abt. 1866 became the LT. Gov of Missouri. It makes sense that he would correspond with DLG as a relative and also politician. The letters have been lost, but my Grandmother and Mom have spoken of them existing. They implied that Hiram and Henry Lloyd (my ggrandfather) were first cousins to DLG. I am wondering if they were once removed.
Could my ggggrandfather Thomas (b:1800) have been an uncle to Rachael or perhaps a brother? Do you know who Rachael’s father was?
My Thomas (born1823) said his mother was a Bagnall. He said she died young. I have a Mary Bagnall and a Hannah Bagnall That married Thomas Lloyd (B: circa 1800) and married about 1820. Thomas was born 1823. My Mom remembers a Mary Bagnall.

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 3:00AM GMT
It appears that we are both struggling with a definition of "cousin" here. I think there is a relationship, but a little more distant than we think. Around 10 years ago, I was in contact with a gentleman who knew and was in contact with DLG's Uncle William George at the time. Because I was questioning additional siblings of Elizabeth, I was assured that Richard and Mary Ellen were it.

Rachel was born in 1831. According to her death certificate, her parents were John Lloyd and Jane Williams. I looked in the 1841 census for Wales and I believe I found Rachel living with her siblings and mother, Jane Lloyd - not sure though. I'm guessing her father died before the census because he's not listed. Rachel was 10 years old. Other siblings were Frisswith, Morgan, Ann, Susanna & Hariot. They lived in Monmouthshire. You say your family was from Staffordshire, but again these people moved and John may have just ened up in Monmouthshire where his kids were born....if it's the correct family.

In the 1851 census, Rachel could have been living with her older brother, William (which they have as Floyd, but if you look at the original, it's Lloyd). If this is the correct family, Rachel and her brother Morgan were living with William (born 1821). He was already married and his daughter Frisswith was born. I could not find Jane Lloyd in 1851.

In 1852, Rachel married David P. Davis and immigrated to Pennsylvania where all her children were born. They lived in many places in the state, but remained in PA.

If your ggg Thomas, David Lloyd (Elizabeth's father) and my John Lloyd were brothers, this might make some sense. Maybe your gg Thomas, Elizabeth and Rachel were cousins??? This is sort of how I'm seeing it, but without absolute proof, I don't know what to think. I've seen a posting where someone says that a Robert Lloyd was a brother of Elizabeth, but again I don't know, especially after what that gentleman told me years ago.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Posted: 24 Jul 2009 2:38PM GMT
I agree with your take on Thomas, Elizabeth, and Rachel being cousins, but documentation is a problem. At this point, I have a few leads to track back to Thomas (born circa 1800) and the christening records I believe are for Thomas 1824 and the majority of his siblings. I will have to send to Staffordshire for the information.
Have you had any experience contacting the churches directly for their records? We are planning a trip in the spring to explore Staffordshire and Wales and would like to obtain as much in person as possible. I have corresponded with an archivist at the DLG museum and he feels there might be some family letters located there. I can’t afford a personal researcher, as he suggested, but hope to be prepared enough to gain some information with targeted requests.
One last comment, you are correct about the family moving around. We are currently trying to find the family connection with regard to the cousin connection in the areas between Staffordshire and Wales. Again documentation is tricky as the Lloyds are numerous, but seem to be very family centered housing cousins etc. I wish the census went back further.
Thanks for your information; it helps with the puzzle pieces.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic