Search for content in message boards

Kolejwitz, Bohemia

Kolejwitz, Bohemia

Meg Lambalot (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2001 5:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hess, Grumann, Vaisch, Benzinger
Trying to find a town named Kolejwitz in Bohemia, or a town with similiar name. Person believed to have been born in that town was born circa 1844.

Re: Kolejwitz, Bohemia

Posted: 6 Mar 2002 10:52PM GMT
I was searching all over for a town in czech that sounded that way, but sorry i was unable to find anything. The town name itself almost looks Polish the czech spelling of that town would be Kolejvic or something like this. Also the surnames you are searching for certainly look german to me. I am just an beginner at this myself, but without more info about this person you could be searching a long time. Let me know if i can help any other way.

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 8:04PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. This is an Americanized spelling that I got from a marriage record. The names are German. There were many German settlements in Bohemia, which often caused problems because their merchants and businessmen were sometimes given special privileges.

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 3:36PM GMT
By now you have probably found the name of the town, but I believe it is the same as Kolovec (pronounced Ko-lo-vetch). My grandmother's family (KUNES) was from that town. Records are online now free to search if you are brave enough to read often scribbled Czech, German and/or Latin.

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 7:06PM GMT
Thanks for the response. I did find the town. It's Kolesovice, which is not far from Rakovnik.

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 2:19AM GMT
Hi! Could you tell me how I can search these records from Kolovec for free online? Some of my ancestors lived there before emigrating to the US in the 1880s. Thanks, Sue

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 3:55AM GMT
Hi Sue. I'm sorry but I don't have the info you need. I got the name of the town from a marriage record here in the U.S. How I decided that it matched a particular town in Czech Republic was based on the name of another town associated with the same family. I then looked at a current map of the country and found the two towns close to each other. I have yet to contact someone in Czech Republic for help confirming my assumption. I expect to have to hire somebody, at some point, to be my researcher in Czech Republic but not ready to try that yet. Good Luck. Meg

Re: Kolovec, Bohemia

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 2:52PM GMT

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 2:55PM GMT
Meg, thanks, but I was trying to reply to the message from mgkohl in this thread. I must have done something wrong. Her message is the one that said something about being able to search the records for Kolovec online for free. Sue

Online church records

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 12:16AM GMT
I've found this site helpful in determining which online site has the records for a particular area:

http://www.fm-search.org/index.php?option=com_content&vi...

It looks like www.actapublica.eu would be the site to use for either Kolesovice or Kolovec. (Note that all records may not be digitized yet.)

You can view the search page in Czech or German. Once at the site, you need to search in the correct archive. For Kolesovice, select Praze from the drop down menu. For Kolovec, select Plzni. Then enter the place you are searching for in the box that says Hledat.

The records are not searchable by name. You will need to select a set of records and then basically scroll through to look for your family name.

Hope that helps.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic