Search for content in message boards

Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Lynn
I descend from Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn. My first ? is: Does this John Lewis connect to the Merriweather Lewis family? My second ? is: Does anyone know of any books that cover my John Lewis family and any of his descendants? Thanks, CountryBumpkin

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn - dates? locations?

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:31AM GMT
You gotta give more info such as years and states

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn - connect to Meriweather Lewis??

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 3:26AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Clark, Lynn
Well, Meriweather Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Does he connect to the John Lewis, born 1678 in donegal, Ireland and died 1 feb 1762 that married Margaret Lynn born 1693 and died 1773. And is there and books that you know of that cover John Lewis and Margaret Lynn.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - where to get Lewis and Clark genealogy

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 8:29AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Clark
Well, I would think that the Lewis and Clark genealogy is on this site. I would google Lewis and Clark to find the complete name and dob/dod. Then do a family tree search. If you are using a free account you can only use public member trees and family tree project. After you put in the initial search info there will be a side bar listing the different tree databases on the left. When you have found the right tree and get on the database, click index. This will pull up all the last names in the family tree. Type Lewis in the surname search box above the index. After you have the list of Lewis's, try to find members of your Lewis line.

complicated huh? lol It's alot easier if you have a payed account.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Posted: 26 Nov 2007 8:01PM GMT
In "Lewis Family in America "by William Terrell Lewis your John Lewis is one of the first mentioned. B: 1687 was son one one of the 4 Lewis brothers that left Wales abt the middle of the 17th century. Here is a bit of his history "John was born in Ireland. In 172 he killed an Irish landlord and fled to America, and settled near where the town of Stanton, in Augusta County, now stands .He died in 1762 and is buried at Bellefonte in Augusta County, where a plain marble slab marks the spot, with the following inscription on it " Here lies the remains of JOHN LEWIS, who sled the Irish landlors, settled Augusta County, Located the town of Staunton and furnished five sons to fight battles of the AMERICAN REVOLUTION. He was the son of Andrew Lewis, Esq and Mary Calhoun and was born in Donegal Co, Ireland 1678 and died in Virginia Feb 1, 1762 He was a brave man, a true patriot, and a firm friend of liberty throughout the world"
Your family's entire lineaage is in this boo. Further info? e mail me at
4kittycats@comcast.net

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Posted: 27 Nov 2007 12:20AM GMT
Oops...in last msg said Jojn was son on one of 4 brothers...he was 1 of the original 4 brothers from Wales

Posted: 3 Nov 2008 8:11PM GMT
Book entitled "Genealogy of Lewis Family in America" has a lot about your John Lewis and descendents. Looks like he was maybe the second generation of Lewises who came from Wales. It might be good if you could locate a copy of the mentioned book. It has all you could every want to know about your line.

Genealogy of the Lewis Family in America (from the Seventeenth Century through present time (published in 1893) by William Terrell Lewis of Perryville,
Winston County Ms.

I think I found my copy of either Amazon or Alibris.com.4kittycats@comcast.net

Posted: 3 Nov 2008 8:13PM GMT
Oops. my e mail is 4kittycats@comcast.net. The name of the onine book
seller is Alibris.com

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 3:14PM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
I am searching for information on Elian Lewis bn Tn in 1786.
Tennessee was not a state at the time so I am not sure where to look. He had three sons, one being Martin Marion Lewis. The family moved to MS shortly after his birth. He died in Calhoun Co., MS.

I was wondering if this could have any connections to the Lewis family in this book. I would be happy to purchase my own copy if I thought it could shed some light on my search.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anne Lewis Lucas

Posted: 4 Nov 2008 3:44PM GMT
Ann:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic