Search for content in message boards

Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Posted: 28 Feb 2007 7:25PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Lynn
I descend from Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn. My first ? is: Does this John Lewis connect to the Merriweather Lewis family? My second ? is: Does anyone know of any books that cover my John Lewis family and any of his descendants? Thanks, CountryBumpkin

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn - dates? locations?

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 12:05AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:31AM GMT
You gotta give more info such as years and states

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn - connect to Meriweather Lewis??

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 3:26AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:32AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Clark, Lynn
Well, Meriweather Lewis of the Lewis and Clark expedition. Does he connect to the John Lewis, born 1678 in donegal, Ireland and died 1 feb 1762 that married Margaret Lynn born 1693 and died 1773. And is there and books that you know of that cover John Lewis and Margaret Lynn.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - where to get Lewis and Clark genealogy

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 8:29AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:34AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Clark
Well, I would think that the Lewis and Clark genealogy is on this site. I would google Lewis and Clark to find the complete name and dob/dod. Then do a family tree search. If you are using a free account you can only use public member trees and family tree project. After you put in the initial search info there will be a side bar listing the different tree databases on the left. When you have found the right tree and get on the database, click index. This will pull up all the last names in the family tree. Type Lewis in the surname search box above the index. After you have the list of Lewis's, try to find members of your Lewis line.

complicated huh? lol It's alot easier if you have a payed account.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - researching Lewis and Clark in Pittsburgh PA

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 1:28PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Clark, Myers, Braddock, Floyd, Dunseith, Clark, Rogers, Alexander, Jefferson, McIntyre, Simms, Sharp, Douglas, Hunter
I am doing research of Lewis and Clark out of Pittsburgh. I am from Pittsburgh and I believe my Myers family built the boats. A good source is the book called The Lewises, The Meriweathers and Their KIN.

A good positive would be if your family is located along the river from Pittsburgh to Washington State. If you have family in North Dakota or Washington state. Sometimes the inlaws are just as importent. That is you have a great annt married to a Clark living in Washington State.

So just don't follow the Lewis line. Gather all the last names of your family going back to 1800. Then look at where they are living. Some of the inlaw names maybe Braddock, Floyd, Dunseith, Clark, Rogers, Alexander, Jefferson, McIntyre, Simms, Sharp, Douglas, Hunter and so on.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - using LDS Family History Center

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 3:35PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:37AM GMT
another option is to go to a LDS Family History Center in your area. You can find one if you go to familysearch.com and check on locations. They are free and have access to alot of the pay sites which you can use. They can also help you get going on your line. Just another option for you! You may e-mail me directly if you like and I can help you with that. geniomom@hotmail.com

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - LDS centers don't always have info

Posted: 1 Mar 2007 4:14PM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I find the LDS center not as good as they say. I tried the LDS center in Rochester NY which is about 20 miles west of Joseph Smith's home in Palmyra NY. Joseph Smith is the founder of the Mormon Church. The LDS center there did NOT have records of Joseph Smith's line. In fact, the people there acted like deer in the headlights when I asked.

If they don't have Joseph Smith's line why would they have yours? The nicest thing about the LSD center is that it's free and 5 cents a copy for anything you copy. Just don't expect to solve your family line in one day.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - free research sites

Posted: 2 Mar 2007 6:22AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 10:19AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis
However, they do have free access to such sites as Ancestry.com, NEGHS and others along with other great search tools. Rome wasnt built in a day and every little tidbit helps to put a puzzle together! I come from a John Lewis as well, but he went to Nova Scotia from England/Scotland. He fought with Bonnie Prince Charlie but getting much futher back has come to a standstill at the moment. I do believe him to be Scottish given the land grant to N.S. and all! Lots of John Lewis's and lots of answers!

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) - related to the Bissell family??

Posted: 2 Mar 2007 6:39AM GMT
Edited: 2 Mar 2007 10:20AM GMT
Surnames: Lewis, Bissell
They aren't related at all to the Bissell family right?

I come from the James/Eli Lewis family from Addison County, VT. I wouldn't doubt there is a link.

Re: Col. John Lewis (1678 - 1 Feb 1762) married Margaret Lynn, need help starting my Lewis research?

Posted: 26 Nov 2007 8:01PM GMT
In "Lewis Family in America "by William Terrell Lewis your John Lewis is one of the first mentioned. B: 1687 was son one one of the 4 Lewis brothers that left Wales abt the middle of the 17th century. Here is a bit of his history "John was born in Ireland. In 172 he killed an Irish landlord and fled to America, and settled near where the town of Stanton, in Augusta County, now stands .He died in 1762 and is buried at Bellefonte in Augusta County, where a plain marble slab marks the spot, with the following inscription on it " Here lies the remains of JOHN LEWIS, who sled the Irish landlors, settled Augusta County, Located the town of Staunton and furnished five sons to fight battles of the AMERICAN REVOLUTION. He was the son of Andrew Lewis, Esq and Mary Calhoun and was born in Donegal Co, Ireland 1678 and died in Virginia Feb 1, 1762 He was a brave man, a true patriot, and a firm friend of liberty throughout the world"
Your family's entire lineaage is in this boo. Further info? e mail me at
4kittycats@comcast.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic