Search for content in message boards

William Webb/interpreter Okla Terr.

William Webb/interpreter Okla Terr.

Rubye Grady (View posts)
Posted: 1018575051000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Webb/Vaughan/Strickland
Legend has it that great grandfather William Webb was interpreter for Okla Territory. His parents massacred by Indians and he was raised by them. This handed down over the years. He was born Feb 14,1812,died 1867.
I havn't found any information to confirm this but handed down by my father. I am 78 years old, hope to resolve before I die. His parents (my fathers) went by wagon train wit another family Sims to Okla. Territory, and my fathers sister was born there
March 1894, where I don't know.
Any help, ideas at all greatly appreciated. Rubye Webb Grady

Re: William Webb/interpreter Okla Terr.

Posted: 1077608984000
Edited: 1158809635000
Surnames: Sims,Green
My Sims family moved to OK about that time. They came via Mississippi to Illinois to Oklahoma. Let me know if your family came from those regions.

Rubye Grady (View posts)
Posted: 1077632768000
Surnames: Webb
My parents and grandparents came from MS. I have(had) relatives by the name of Sims that I grew up with in MS. This year found graves of William Webb and wife Sophronia Vaughan Webb in Shannon, MS.
We grew up with the legend of William being an interpreter for Okla Terr. My father remembered going by wagon train with his parents and some of the Sims toOkla terr. when he was about five years old. The story was that they were looking for work, didn't find any so didn't stay out there too long. His mother was pregnant at the time and his sister was born there March 1894. We have no knowledge at all of Williams family, just that they were massacred by Indians and he was raised by Indians.
While they were there my father vaguely remembered his father going into tepee with Indians while kids stayed outside. His father learned to yell like an Indian and entertained his grandchildren with it. William died in 1867 when Grandfather Webb was 10 years old.
Thank you for replying to my message. Ru

Troy (View posts)
Posted: 1077647547000
Surnames: Sims
Hi, Your story is very interesting. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not sure if this will help with your research, but my SIMS family came to OK from MS around the same time as your WEBB family. Some of my research is posted below so you can see the dates of their travel according to their children's birth. They left MS before 1889. -Troy

1. Eli Thompson SIMS (Edward SIMS2, Edward SIMS1) was born 1820 in Chester, South Carolina. He married Mary STRINGFELLOW, daughter of Alex STRINGFELLOW and Agnes UNKNOWN. She was born 1820 in South Carolina.

Children of Eli Thompson SIMS and Mary STRINGFELLOW are:
+ 2   i. Eli Thompson SIMS was born 1856 in Mississippi.
  3   ii. Mary J. SIMS was born 1835 in Chester, SC.
  4   iii. Nancy SIMS was born 1838 in Chester, SC.
  5   iv. Edward SIMS was born 1841 in Chester, SC.
  6   v. James SIMS was born 1843 in Chickasaw, MS.
  7   vi. Rachael SIMS was born 1844 in Chickasaw, MS.
  8   vii. William A. SIMS was born 1850 in Chickasaw, MS.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Descendant Register, Generation No. 2

2. Eli Thompson SIMS (Eli Thompson SIMS3, Edward SIMS2, Edward SIMS1) was born 1856 in Mississippi. He married Missouri Catherine HARDIN, daughter of Stephen Edward HARDIN and Nancy SMITH. She was born June, 1858 in Calhoun County, Mississippi, and died in Le Flore County, Oklahoma.

Children of Eli Thompson SIMS and Missouri Catherine HARDIN are:
+ 9   i. Marshall Fountain SIMS was born October, 1881 in Calhoun County, MS, and died in Monterey, CA.
  10   ii. Walter Thompson SIMS was born May 1878 in Calhoun, MS.
  11   iii. Hosea Thornton SIMS was born 1879 in Calhoun, MS.
  12   iv. Permeina Bell SIMS was born Feb 22, 1880 in Calhoun, MS.
  13   v. Mary Elizabeth SIMS was born May 1883 in Calhoun, MS.
  14   vi. James Banta SIMS was born March 1886 in Calhoun, MS.
  15   vii. Minte Sil Vandy SIMS was born Dec. 21, 1887 in Calhoun, MS.
  16   viii. Monroe SIMS was born 1889.
  17   ix. Lydia M. SIMS was born Jan. 1891 in Arkansas.
  18   x. Henry W. SIMS was born Aug. 1892 in Illinois.
  19   xi. Dovie Lenora SIMS was born Dec. 15, 1894 in Illinois.
  20   xii. Hartie Evina SIMS was born Apr 1899 in Illinois.

Descendant Register, Generation No. 3

9. Marshall Fountain SIMS (Eli Thompson SIMS4, Eli Thompson SIMS3, Edward SIMS2, Edward SIMS1) was born October, 1881 in Calhoun County, MS, and died in Monterey, CA. He married Myrtle Louie JOHNSON Oct. 8, 1905 in Leflore, Oklahoma, daughter of John T. JOHNSON and Mary Ann (Molly) HATRIDGE. She was born Jan. 3, 1892 in Ruby, Crawford, AR, and died May 28, 1956 in Monterey, CA.

Children of Marshall Fountain SIMS and Myrtle Louie JOHNSON are:
+ 21   i. Lonnie Earl SIMS was born July 3, 1909 in Stigler, Oklahoma, and died April 14, 1991 in Montery, California.
  22   ii. Alsie SIMS was born 1907 in Oklahoma. He married Pearl SIMS. She was born 1907 in Okalahoma.
  23   iii. Roland SIMS was born 1912 in Oklahoma.
  24   iv. Cecil SIMS was born 1915 in Oklahoma.
  25   v. Ethel SIMS was born 1918 in Oklahoma.
  26   vi. Georgia SIMS was born 1920 in Okalahoma.

Posted: 1194759150000
Surnames: Sims
I seen your messeage and was hoping you could be of some help to me. I'm searching my Sims family.My great-grandmother was Samantha Elizabeth Sims born abt. 1876 I think in Okla.She married a William Kelley in Okla. I was wondering if you have ever come across her name in your research. I would like to find her parents name. Thank you for any information you can give.

Posted: 1194797210000
I have no record of a Samantha Elizabeth Sims. My SIMS family moved
to the Creek Nation around 1900, so I'm not sure of any connection. Try sending for her death certificate and it should list her parents and their place of birth.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic