Search for content in message boards

Sonorian Relatives

Sonorian Relatives

Posted: 9 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Sep 2005 3:03AM GMT
Surnames: Moraga, Flores, Cordova, Rendon, Perez
If there is anyone who is working on these lines in Sonora in the vicinity of La Colorado, Tecoripa, Suaqui Grande,San Antonio de la Huerta, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoran Moragas

Raclare Kanal (View posts)
Posted: 13 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Suastegui, Moraga, Pompa, Buelna, Canete
The sites that you mention extend north from Pitic and Horcasitas, it seems. I do not know La Colorada. Is it a mining site? Have you looked through the records from Horcasitas, available on microfilm at LDS Family History Centers? There are quite a few Moragas in them. I have looked mostly at the 1750-1830 time period which is too early for your Samuel and his parents, but later records are available.Perhaps they were tending to move north from Horcasitas, because I do note that their numbers there were much smaller at the end of that time period than they had been at the beginning.

Many of the early Moragas served in the military, so perhaps your relative was following a family tradition. If you do learn more about him, I would appreciate your sharing it with me. I am trying to trace the various Moraga lines of Sonora.

pueblos

Sergio Cordova (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
The towns of La Colorada, Tecoripa, Suaqui Grande, San Antonio de la Huerta are all east, south-east of Pitic.
If La Colorada does not have it own parish records it was probably a "visita" of the mission of San Jose de Pimas. If Tecoripa and Suaqui Grande have the same problem the Missions at Matape or Batuc may have had jurisdiction. San Antonio de la Huerta was a "real" & the nearest missions were Bacanora, Arivechi and Onavas. I'm not sure if there was a mission at Tonichi or whether it was a visita from a neighboring mission.

Pueblos

Posted: 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Thank you for correcting my Sonoran geography - I should have checked on the map before posting my message. These sites seem to follow the general path of the Rio Yaqui, and are more distant from Horcasitas than I had thought.

Because so many of us depend on the LDS films for our sources, I looked up the sites that you suggested to see what was available from them. The following is what they have:

Matape, (Villa Pesqueira) - Civil Records 1885-1995
Batuc - with Ures records
Bacanora - Civil records 1884-1995
Onavas - Civil records 1868-1994

There are, in the Parish Archives of Sonora (Film Series 811 at U of AZ library) 1796 padrones for San Jose de Pimas, Suaqui, and Tecoripa. I copied these, but looking them over I do not see any Moraga listings.

Pueblos

Posted: 21 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
I should also add that Tecoripa and San Jose de Pimas are listed now as La Colorada, with civil records for 1885-1995.

Suaqui Grande has civil records filmed for 1884-1995.

San Antonio de la Huerta records are part of the Ures collection.

Sonorian Relatives

Mario Alberto Miranda Vejar (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Cordova
Greetings..
My name is Mario Alberto Miranda Vejar,
My paternal grandmother was Josefa Cordova from Suaqui Grande, Sonora.
Her parents were Crisanto Cordova and Josefa Cordova from Suaqui Grande. My father, Jose Miranda Cordova believes His Grandmother Josefa Cordova was from Aconchi Sonora but he's not sure..
Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Mario A Miranda

Re: pueblos

Posted: 11 Nov 2002 3:03AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 3:17AM GMT
Mr. Cordova, Are your relatives from Tecoripa Sonora? I believe that our ancestor Samuel Moraga's mother was a Cordova. Samuel Moraga lived in Tecoripa and when I visited there several years ago, a woman named Cordova told me she was related.

Re: Sonoran Moragas

cora cuen (View posts)
Posted: 4 Mar 2003 1:01AM GMT
Raclare.......La Colorada is in Sonora Mex. & yes it was with
in a Mining area. I found a Esteban Moraga De Altar in a
civil info film 1934115.....7-8-1888 death of Esteban Moraga
age 38."Fallecio de un balaso imprevisto" Viudo de Refugio
Figueroa. Hijo de: Jose Moraga-Getrudis Robledo
Testigos: Jesus Hernandes(Soltero) de Coralia Y Jose
Anaya de San Luis Potosi.......I also had that Estevan Moraga
& Ma. Del Refugio Figueroa were married 2-10-1874 on
film 687227-Batch m600361 none of this info is on the LDS
computer yet............Cora

Posted: 4 Mar 2003 3:31AM GMT
'un balazo imprevisto'! What an interesting way of putting it. Spin was an art already in practice it seems. But the Colorada Moragas are of particular interest to Patricia Bays. Hopefully your message will go to her e-mail and she will see it. Thank you for reporting what you found in the way of Moragas. We have a good opportunity to help each other by passing on records that we come across.

Posted: 9 Mar 2003 12:51AM GMT
Edited: 5 Oct 2003 3:17AM GMT
Surnames: Moraga, Cordova, Flores
Dear All researching Sonora, Mexico. I am particularly interested in researching the Moragas in Sonora. I know that my ancestors lived in and around La Colorada, Tecoripa, and San Antonio de la Wherta.(sp) Tradition has that this particular Moraga family came from Spain to Cuba to Mexico. Samuel Moraga was born in Sonora on Aug 15, 1885. He lived in Sonora all his life. His brother had a bar or cantina in San Antonio de la Wherta at the turn of the century. Samuel served in the Mexican Army.
Can anyone help me?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic