Search for content in message boards

Eliza Brickey

Eliza Brickey

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 12:54AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Brickey, Jones
Looking for any information about Eliza (Jane?) Brickey.

Born 1844?

Married John Jones (Jonathan D Jones?) in 1863.

This is in regard to my Grandfather Vern C Jones. Born 1896 in Missouri.

I believe my Grandfather shows up in their household in the 1900 Census in Missouri.

My Grandfather moved to Selma CA (near Fresno) around the turn of the century. He stated his parents were Eliza Brickey and John Jones. His parents were killed in a fire but I can find no documentation for this event, yet no death date or location for John Jones (Jonathan D Jones?) or Eliza Brickey exists. They seem to vanish after the 1900 census where their residence was Missouri.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Eliza Brickey

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 1:45AM GMT
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=49...

This grave seems to roughly match and burried next to John jones, her husband. But no evidence that they ever lived in California.

Any information or leads are appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted: 5 Apr 2012 6:23PM GMT
Edited: 5 Apr 2012 10:17PM GMT
Have you noticed the Find a Grave memorial shows a son William born when John was 12 and Eliza 8?!

When Vern registered for the WW1 draft 1917 in Selma, CA he listed birthplace as Salem, MO (Dent Co.).

When he registered again in 1940s for WW2 he listed birthplace as Centerville, MO (Reynolds Co., adjoins Dent Co.).

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 12:37AM GMT
I didn't do the math but that does not seem right, yet it's on the headstones.

I don't know who William (Willie) Jones was in relation to my Grandfather.

Not much to go on. I'll compare the difference in the towns and counties and see if it leads anywhere. But I'm just not sure. Not much to work with here.

I'm not sure at all if John Jones and Eliza Brickey are Vern's parents. In fact, I'm skeptical, but there's some relationships that have me keep them in place as I research further. These are the names that vern himself passed verbally through the family. Then there's the reference in the 1900 census with a four year old Vern living in their household. But yes, the dates don't make much sense. I keep thinking they're his grandparents or adoptive parents and there is someone else missing from the picture.

I don't think John and Eliza ever left Missouri. I don't know that but it's a hunch. so how then did Vern make his way to Selma California where he had a relative named Mary (my mom refers to her as aunt Mary) who had family heirlooms and photos. One photo of note is of a Cherokee woman who was a relative. Cherokee ancestry is a part of the Jones verbal history as well. See link:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.brickey/293/mb.ashx

And then there was a Suzie E Jones Morrison (b about 1890 d about 1960 that lived in Huntington Park in southern CA. She was said to have ownership in a store in Picher, OK.

Note the information on Eliza's reported son, William Jones on "find a grave".

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=49...

"He and Lizzie ran the First Grocery Store in Picher, OK"

So no. I don't think they are his parents, but I do think there's enough to relate them somehow in his early life and family history. I don't know...

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 1:29AM GMT
I think you have enough evidence that John & Eliza were Vern's parents, as listed in the 1900 census. Eliza would have been 50 but while births to mothers in their 50s are uncommon, menopause can happen as late as age 59.

And Missouri marriages show John and Eliza were married in Crawford County, which adjoins Dent County:

1870 Dent Co, Mo.
J D Jones 26 Tenn
E J Jones 23 Mo
W C Jones 5 "
M A Jones 3 "

1880 Dent Co, Mo. census
Johnathan Jones 36 Tenn
Eliza J. Jones 35 Mo
Willie Jones 16 "
Martha Jones 13 "
John Jones 9 "
Charley Jones 2 "

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 1:53AM GMT
Thanks for the information. I'll try searching the two different birth locations for vern and see if that changes anything. Appreciate your good information and knowledge of the area.

I also found this old bio on Jonathan Doak Jones.

http://files.usgwarchives.net/mo/dent/bios/j5200005.txt

I wish I knew the information that links Vern to Selma, CA. I can't find any traces of his family in that location. Yet we know he went to school there and had family.

And sorry for the double post. Did not realize I had done that until this evening.

Posted: 6 Apr 2012 2:19AM GMT
The 1917 draft card indicates Vern was already in Selma, California when Eliza died, Jonathan having died the year before, but it appears Vern listed a permanent address in Oklahoma:
Attachments:

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 3:01AM GMT
Can anyone read that Oklahoma reference on the draft card?

Looks like:

6/18 Osage Okla - to Hope leng ?

Not sure about the last part. Is that a geographic reference to Oklahoma?

Opinions?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic