Source: History of Albemarle County in Virginia By Rev. Edgar Woods
Charles Yancey, who was a prominent man in the early part of the century, was the son of Robert Yancey, of Buckingham. An energetic man of business, he conducted a tavern, store, mill and distillery at what was afterwards May's, and still later Cocke's, Tavern. This was originally the location of the postoffice called Yancey's Mills, and though transferred to the more important centre of Hillsboro, the old name is retained. Mr. Yancey was appointed a magistrate in 1796, became Colonel of the Forty-Seventh Regiment in 1806, and served as Sheriff in 1821. He was twice married, first to Sarah, daughter of Robert Field, and secondly to Jane Alexander. His children by the first marriage were Jeremiah, Joel, Charles and Robert, and by the second Jechonias, Sarah, the wife of J. W. Ralls, Alexander K. and Jane. Jeremiah married Sarah, daughter of Claiborne Rothwell. He and his brother Joel built the mill on Lickingbole near Crozet about 1820, and sold it in 1822 to Philip S. Pleasants. Alexander K. married Sarah, daughter of Col. John S. Farrar, transacted business as a merchant in Hillsboro, and died in 1889.
[NOTES by DJY: The parentage of Charles Yancey as here recorded is in error. He was the son of Jeremiah & Margaret (Mullins) Yancey.]