STEPHEN B. YANCEY was born on a farm one mile north of Armstrong August 17, 1864. He is the oldest son of C. S. YANCEY. He was educated at the Roanoke Public School and the Missouri State University. After leaving school he farmed for a year or so, and in the fall of 1889 he and his brother, L. B. YANCEY, and the PHELPS boys, of Roanoke, built a brick store west of the Farmers' Bank in this place, and opened up a dry goods and furniture store. There they have carried on a successful business. Not having room sufficient Mr. Yancey, the subject of this sketch, built another large two-story brick store on the opposite side of the street and removed the dry goods department of the business to that building. Three years later Yancey Bros. bought out the interest of Phelps Bros., and from that time up till May 15, 1896, run the business. On May 15 they sold their stock of goods and store building to IRVIN & FINDLEY, of Illinois. Mr. Yancey has been one of Armstrong's most progressive merchants, always taking the lead in public enterprises. He is an elder in the Cumberland Presbyterian church and a member of the Knights of Pythias lodge, and is a good worker in that order. He is yet classed as one of the handsome bachelors of the town.