OBITUARY - Helen Yancy

Posted: 1174924471000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Yancy
January 2, 1864
THE CHRISTIAN RECORDER
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

OBITUARY.

Sister Helen Yancy, the wife of Lewis Yancy, after an illness of ten months, departed this life in full triumph of a living faith in the Sun of Righteousness, at Bloomington, Ills., Aug. 1, 1863, aged 26 years, 6 months, and 9 days. Sister Yancey also lost a sweet little babe, which departed this life July 25th, 1863, aged 6 months and 11 days. Little Mary Jane and her mother have gone up in a golden chariot. Sister Yancy leaves behind her an affectionate husband, a kind mother, sister, step-father and son, besides numerous friends, to mourn her loss. But their loss is her infinite gain. Our departed sister was born in Hopkinsville, Christian county, Ky. Sister Yancy came to Bloomington, I think, in the fall of 1857, and taught school one quarter. She professed religion in the spring of 1859, and joined the A.M.E. Church in Bloomington, Ill., under the administration of Rev. A.T. Hall, and lived a consistent Christian up to the day of her death. I often visited sister Yancy during her sickness, and read the word of God, and prayed with her, and when I would ask her in reference to her future state she always seemed to be resigned to the will of God, and was prepared to go to rest. She was a great support to the Gospel, and was a subscriber to the Christian Recorder, which she informed me she intended to patronize while she lived. Oh where is our sister gone. She is gone up to join the General Assembly and Church of the first born. W.J. DAVIS.

Find a board about a specific topic