Search for content in message boards

Have/need info on Martha Ann Taylor, wife of Annanias Poplin

Replies: 0

Have/need info on Martha Ann Taylor, wife of Annanias Poplin

Posted: 1540750360000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1540750719000
Surnames: Taylor, Poplin, Martin, Stroud, Sorrels
I manage a DNA test for a Stroud in-law who has several (at least 8) close matches to descendants of Annanias Poplin’s older children, Mary Caroline Sorrels and Andrew Jackson Poplin. This leads me to believe the connection might really be through Annanias’ first wife, Martha Ann Taylor. In the 1860 census, Annanias and Martha Ann were enumerated in Carroll Co. AR right next to a couple named W. Riley Martin & Eliza Jane Martin. Eliza Jane is my Stroud DNA tester’s great-great aunt. Her father was John P. Taylor, born circa 1800, probably somewhere in NC. He probably lived in TN for a while and was in IL by 1836, although we’ve never found where in IL. He and other Taylor relatives moved to Myatt Township, Lawrence (later Fulton) Co. AR in 1844-45, and settled next door to our Strouds. John P. was in Marion Co. AR in 1860, and the Martins in Carroll Co. There is family lore that part of the family moved briefly to TX around that time, as well, but they all returned to the Myatt-Southfork area. Ananias Poplin was there, too, in the 1880 census, on the next page from John P. Taylor’s widow, Margaret. All of this makes me think Martha Ann may have been an older daughter of John P. Taylor, or at most a niece or close cousin. Does anyone have any knowledge or family lore as to where she comes from?

Find a board about a specific topic