Search for content in message boards

Sarah/Laura South born about 1883 Sullivan County, TN

Replies: 0

Sarah/Laura South born about 1883 Sullivan County, TN

Posted: 1439205249000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1439205400000
Surnames: South, Crumley
I am still searching for the daughter(s) of James E. South and Mary Crumley. Any help in the group is appreciated.

Sarah/Laura & Kinney South Research

JAMES EDWARD SOUTH was born December 23, 1862 in TN, and died April 06, 1904 in Bristol, TN. He married (1) MARY C. CRUMLEY October 16, 1881 in Sullivan County, TN, daughter of PHILLIP CRUMLEY and ELIZABETH STOPHEL. She was born Abt. 1867 in Sullivan County, TN, and died Bet. January 01, 1896 - January 08, 1897 in Sullivan County, TN. He married (2) SARAH LOUVENA MOORE January 08, 1897 in Sullivan County, TN, daughter of HENRY MOORE and MARY MOORE. She was born May 18, 1879 in VA - Date from Memorial Plate. 1900 census has her age 23 born 1877., and died June 13, 1964 in Bristol, TN - Date from Memorial Plate.

In the 1900 Census James was listed as a Carpenter. He and his wife Venie had been married 3 years.

1900 Census Bristol, Sullivan County, TN 17th Civil District Enumeration District 121
South, James E., age 42, Dec. 1862, married 3 years, he and parents born in TN, Carpenter
Venie, age 23, May 1877, she and parents born in VA
Sarah/Larah, age 17, April 1883, she and father born TN, mother born VA
Kenni, age 12, Oct 1887, he and father born TN, mother born VA
Robert, age 2, Dec 1897, he and father born TN, mother born VA
Ollie, age 4/12, Feb 1900, she and father born TN, mother born VA

The name for Sarah is spelled Larah. From this census I assume James & Mary had only Laura & Kenny and that family has Laura mixed up with Sarah.

Children of JAMES SOUTH and MARY CRUMLEY are:
i. LAURA E. SOUTH, b. October 13, 1881, Sullivan County, TN.

Notes for LAURA E. SOUTH:
Laura may have gone to Kansas.
I have found no other records on Laura and have no clue where she went.

ii. SARAH SOUTH, b. April 1883, Sullivan County, TN.

Notes for SARAH SOUTH:
In the 1900 Census of Sullivan County Sarah/Larah is listed as being age 17 , birth April 1883 in TN.

I have found no other records on Sarah and have no clue where she went.

iii. KINNEY SOUTH, b. October 1887, Sullivan County, TN; d. April 18, 1910, Sullivan County, TN.

Notes for KINNEY SOUTH:
Kinney had fits and died in an institution.

In the 1900 Census of Sullivan County Kinni is listed as being age 12 , birth October 1887 in TN.

MINUTES, SULLIVAN COUNTY COURT, OCT 3rd TERM, 1904, PAGE 265
Kenney South added to list of Paupers Outside Poor House.
On Motion of Justice Rader the rules of the Court were suspened, and it was ordered by the Court that Kenney South, residing in the 17th Civil District of Sullivan County ??, and he is hereby, added to the list of paupers outside the poor house at the rate of $5.00 per quarter with Robt. Pile Esq. As his receiver.
(By a ??? Voice Vote of the Court)

A 1905 news clipping states "Kinney South is the name of an orphan boy at the poorhouse. He has fits, and is a pitiable object. His father who was killed on the railroad, was a member of the Junior Order. Some members of that order paid him a visit Sunday and manifested some interest in this poor, little unfortunate fellow. We hope they will not forget him."

Bristol Herald Courier articles dated Tuesday, April 19, 1910.
Title: KENNY SOUTH DIES AT COUNTY POOR HOUSE MONDAY.
Kenny South, the fifteen year old lad who has been an inmate of the Sullivan county poor house since the death of his parents a few years ago, died there early Monday morning. The news of his death was received by Squire R. Pile, who has taken a great interest in the unfortunate boy and who was much grieved to hear it. His body will be buried beside that of his parents. The funeral will occur today and will be in charge of the J. O. U. A. M.

Sullivan County Death Record.
Number 87901
Report made by B. Seneker
Enumerator of the Fifth School District of Sullivan County
Name of Deceased Kenny South
Date of Death April 18 1910
Sex Male Color White
Age twenty
Married or Single Single
Place of Death Poor House
Cause of Death Fits
Place of Birth Not Known
Occupation None
Name of Physician attending on last sickness Parrott
I have yet to find the marked grave sites of Kinnie or his mother. They may be in unmarked graves at the Paperville Cemetery if the Obituary above is correct. I would think that if he was indeed buried by the JOUAM as his father was then there would be a stone similar to James'.

Find a board about a specific topic