Search for content in message boards

DAVID SLOAN's Will, 1821, Pendleton Dist. SC.

Replies: 2

DAVID SLOAN's Will, 1821, Pendleton Dist. SC.

Frank Mitchell (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 1999 6:00AM GMT
Classification: Will
Surnames: BENSON, BRUCE, EARL, GRISHAM, HARRIS, HARRISON, MATTHEWS, SELF, SLOAN, STRIBLING, TALLEY, TAYLOR
WILL OF DAVID SLOAN

In the name of God, Amen, I David Sloan Senior of Pendleton District in the State of South Carolina, Planter, being weak in body and affected with disease, being of perfect sound mind and memory and being mindful of my mortality: Do this twenty ninth day of october in the Year of Our Lord one thousandeight hundred and twenty one, make and publish this my last will and
testament in manner following.

First. I resign my Soul into the hands of Almighty God who gave it: And my body I commit to the earth to be buried at
thediscretion of my Executors at the burial ground on the plantation whereon I now live.

ITEM. I give and devise to my Beloved and affectionate Wife the House we know live in or if She should prefer in the House wherein Jesse Stribling lately lived to be repaired and fixed as Shemay direct during her natural life; -and also give and bequeath to her one third part of Fifty four negroes now in my possession on this plantation and which are not herein otherwise disposed of, And the negroes to be to her and her heirs or assigns forever, but if not disposed of by her at her death to be Equally divided amongst my Ten children or the survivors of them or their representatives. I also give and bequeath to my Said Beloved and affectionate Wife Susannah all my House hold furniture to be disposed of at her pleasure and one third of Stock and farming utensils on the farm I now live on to be disposed of in like manner if She should remove to the House lately
occupied by Jesse Stribling and as much of this said plantation as she may wish for cultivation.

ITEM. I give and devise to my Eldest son David Sloan all that platation and tract of Land whereon he now lives on the North side of Cane Creek containing about nine hundred and fifty acres, also Fifty acres on the South Side of Cane Creek to include his mill and pond, but he is to grind free of Toll all grain brought to his Mill for Jesse Stribling while his Mill stands. --I also give and bequeath to my said son David Sloan, all the Negroes goods and chattels and effects which I have heretofore put into his possession. To Have And To Hold to him and his heirs & assigns forever.

ITEM. I give and devise to Jesse Stribling and Elizabeth his wife and my eldest daughter all that platation whereon he now lives on the South Side of Cane Creek containing about nine hundred and fifty acres (except the Mill and fifty acres divided to my son David Sloan above -- I also give and bequeath to the said Jefse Stribling and Elizabeth all the negroes and other personal property that I have heretofore put into their possession To Have And to Hold to them & their heirs & assigns forever.

ITEM. I give and devise to my Son David Sloan and Jesse Stribling all those two Tracts of land adjoining to each other on waters of Cane Creek and Richland containing about four hundred and fifty acres Originally granted to Self and Talley to have & To hold to them and their heirs and assigns forever.

ITEM. I give and divise to Robert Bruce and my Daughter Susannah Bruce his wife all that plantation or several tracts of land lying adjoining to each other & whereon they now live on Toogaloo River and Gum Log Creek in Franklin County in the State of Georgia containing about Twelve hundred and fifty acres I also give and bequeath to the said Robert and Susannah Bruce all the negroes and other personal property which I have heretofore given to them and put into their possession To Have and to Hold to the said Robert and Susannah Bruce and to their heirs and assigns forever.

ITEM. I give and divise to my Son Benjamin Franklin Sloan all that plantation composed of five tracts of land lying joining to each other on Toogaloo River & Panes Creek in Franklin County Georgia containing one thousand six hundred and forty three acres more or less. And I also give and bequeath to the said Benjamin F. Sloan all those thirteen negroes now in his possession, and also all the personal property which I have hereto fore put into his possession & which he now hath To Have and to Hold to him and his heirs and assigns forever.

ITEM. I give and divise to my to my son Thomas M Sloan all that plantation which I purchase from Joseph Taylor on Keowee or Seneca River about five miles from Pendleton, S.C. containing about Two thousand acres whereon the said Thomas Sloan now lives. I also give and bequeath to the said Thomas M. Sloan all those Twenty two Negroes now in his possession on the said plantationand also all the personal property on the said plantation of what kind Soever. To Have and to Hold to the said Thomas M. Sloan and his heirs and assigns forever. But on this condition that he must pay my youngest son James Madison Sloan Three Thousand Dollars if the said James M. Sloan shall live to have lawful issue & die under twenty one years of age then his children to have it but if he die without issue under age then the said sum of Three Thousand Dollars to be paid to my Executors and by them divided between the living children and the legal representatives of those that may be dead if any of my said ten children should die previous to the time he may be of age if he had lived. The distribution to be share & share alike. I also reserve to my Executors the present crop of Cotton and the corn that may not be needed for use on the said farm for the stock.

ITEM. I give and divise to my son William Sloan all the plantation whereon I now live containing about Two Thousand acres composed of five several tract of land lying adjoining to each other reserving to my beloved Wife Susannah Sloan the right to life in the House we now live in or the House and plantation or tract where Jefse Stribling lately lived at the option of my said wife during he natural life-- and if She should prefer the House--where Stribling lived the said William Sloan is to repair the same in any manner She may direct and permit her to have any quantity of Land for cultivation she may desire.

ITEM. I give and divise to my youngest Son James Madison Sloan all my lands and real Estates wheresoever the same may
be Situated to be by my Executors sold for his benefit or kept for him until he shall arrive at the age of twenty one years at the option and in the discretion of my Executrix and Executor and I do hereby appoint my affectionate Wife Susannah Sloan and my dutiful Son David Sloan Guardian of the person and effevts of my youngest son James M. Sloan hereby giving them power to any needful thing for him at their discretion.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to my two youngest sons William Sloan and James Madison Sloan the Two Thirds of fifty four
negro slaves now in my possession not herin otherwise disposed of(or intended to be so) and the two thirds of all the personal property new on this plantation (not herein disposed of or intended so to be hereby)-- that is the reminded thereof after my beloved wife may have taken out one third and the smae shall be keep on this plantation for the use and benefit thereof and shall continue in the possession of my said Executrix and Executor for them until the said William arrives at Lawful age when the property shall be delivered over to him and by him-- used for his own benefit until the said James Madison Sloan arrives at the age of Twenty one years or be married at which time a dividend of the negroes now here and their incease shall be fairly and equally divided between the said James M. Sloan and the said James M. Sloan and the said William Sloan or their representatives-- And in case either or both of them die without issue or disposing of their property or under age then the part of the one so dieing shall be divided between the children then living and the representatives of the deceased my youngest son is not to have anything by this bequest except the half of the Negroes living at the time he comes of age.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to Joseph Taylor and Nancy his wife all the personal property by me heretofore placed in his possession & which he now hath. I also direct my Executrix and Executor to pay him one Thousand dollars within one year after my death.

ITEM. I give and divise and bequeath to Joseph B. Earl and Rebecca his wife my loving daughter all the lands which he may have purchased in our joint names according to the intention of a Deed of Covenant executed by him and myself on which I furnished him three thousand Dollars and I also give him all the personal property , & Negroes which I have hereto fore placed in his hands I also release him of all demands which I have against him on any account whatever except the amount of a Note of hand of his which I have paid the cah for to James Rucker it is dated 16 Oct. 1817 due 1st January 1818 for nine hundred and Fifty two dollars. And my Executrix and Executor are hereby directed to call on him for the principal and interest of said Note and that all other accounts between me & the Said Joseph B. Earle shall be forever settled .-- And he is to have hold & possess all the property he received from me.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to John P. Benson and Catherine his wife my youngest daughter the whole of the negroes and
other personal estates heretofore by me put into his possession. And do hereby give and bequeath to them in addition to what I have heretofore given and advanced to them the sum of Two Thousand and three hundred and fourteen dollars-- and I do hereby directmy Executrix and Executor to pay him two Thousand three hundredand fourteen dollars within one year after my death.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to my Grandson David S. Taylor one negro boy named Bob about fourteen years of age called
Little Bob.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to my Grand Daughter Susannah Taylor one negro girl named Elvina about six or eight years of age.

ITEM. I give and bequeath to my Grandson Charles Bruce one negro boy named Edward about sixteen years of age.

Finally. All the rest and residue of my personal Estates debts or chattels of whatsoever the same may be and not herein before effectually disposed of (after payment ofmy debts Legacies and funeral expences and other charges) I do hereby give and bequeath to be collected and equally divided by my Executix and Executor between my Ten Children or their legal representatives.-- It has been my wish and aim to do justice between my children who stand equally dear to me and I have made some difference between those who have had their property for a length of time & those who have just received it and think I have done them justice.

And I do hereby constitute and appoint my said Wife Susannah Sloan and my Son David Sloan Execatrix and Executor of this my last will and Testament, and I do hereby revoke & make void all other or former wills.

In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and herein first above mentioned.

David Sloan (SEAL)

Signed, sealed, published, and declared by the Said Testator as and for his Last will and testament in our presence who at his request in his presence, and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses thereto.

Joseph Grisham
James Harrison
John Matthews

Recorded in Will Book A, page 330
Recorded October 16,1826
Proved October 16,1826
John Harris, O.P.D.
Roll No. 606.

Special thanks to Sheila Burks and Frank Sloan for sending me their transcriptions of the will. There were a couple of minor variances between the two transcriptions. Rather than try to prepare a new "best" version of the two, I just posted Frank's transcription. Both versions spelled Jessie as Jefse, I suspect the "f" is the double "s" symbol.

Frank Mitchell
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Frank Mitchell 8 May 1999 12:00PM GMT 
JoAnnStone71 14 Aug 2001 5:09AM GMT 
TheSloanGuy 14 Aug 2001 12:42PM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic