Search for content in message boards

Ira D. Sankey's Brother

Replies: 0

Ira D. Sankey's Brother

Posted: 1352614389000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sankey
Dear Sankey Family~
My maiden name is Rachel Watkins and I have an interesting story that has been handed down in my family. I am attempting to confirm some of the details.
I was told that Ira D. Sankey fought in the Civil War as a foot soldier at about the age of 20. His older brother (unsure of his name or age) was a doctor and cared for patients during the War. After the War, while Ira D. Sankey spent his years working along side Dwight L. Moody, his older brother, Dr. Sankey, continued to practice medicine in PA.
I was also told that, as an old man, Dr. Sankey made house calls in the area of New Castle, PA and in a small town called Chicora, PA, where he cared for poor families. According to my Grandfather, his father, Benjamin James Watkins, was delivered by Dr. Sankey in 1883 in Chicora, PA. The birth certificate is hard to read, however, so I have nothing but oral history to direct me.
I would appreciate any information regarding Ira D. Sankey's older brother, if he in fact had one. Was he a doctor? What was his name and in what year was he born? When did he pass away? Did he work in the areas of PA I mentioned? Are there any medical records that may confirm this story?
Thank you so much for your time!
God Bless~
Rachel (Watkins) Bradley

Find a board about a specific topic