Search for content in message boards

Depositions regarding children of George Lloyd, Humphreys County, Tennessee, 1866

Replies: 0

Depositions regarding children of George Lloyd, Humphreys County, Tennessee, 1866

Posted: 1468120411000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Beazley, Bossel, Boswell, Box, Childress, Harris, Hobbs, Holland, Jones, Lloyd, Loyd, Marable, Smith
The originals of the following transcribed documents were found in the 1859 Chancery Court case, Robert Lloyd, executor, vs. Roland P. Lloyd, et al, held by the Grainger County Archives in Rutledge, Tennessee:

Camden Benton County June 11th 1866

Mr Robert Lloyd Executor &c.

This is to notify you that on Saturday the 28 th day of July next at the Court house in the Town of Waverley Humphreys County, State of Tennessee I will take the Depositions of Dr Henry H Marable & Allen Box, for the purpose of being had(?) as evidence to establish in the Chancery Court of Granger County E Tennessee, the fact that my wife Jane Childress formily Jane Lloyd, and others now living in this & adjoining Counties are the Children and heirs at Law of one George or George R Lloyd formily of East Tennessee but now deceased was the Son & heir at law of one Thomas Lloyd, for whose estate you are the Executor, where & when you can attend & cross examine said witnesses~

Z. Childress

-----

Came to hand the 18th June 1866

S J Jones DShff
-----
Executed by reading and making known to Robert Loyd the Contents of this notice
June 21st 1866

S J Jones Dshff

--------------------

File No. 5.
~~~~~
Robert Loyd,
Exr. &c.
vs.
Roland P. Loyd,
& others
~~~~~
Depositions of
Henry H. Marable p. 1.
Allen Box ” 3.
~~~~~
For Respt. Z. Childress
& others.
~~~~~
Filed Aug. 6, 1866.
C. C. Smith
C.&M.
~~~~~

In the Chancery Court of Grainger County Tennessee

Robert Lloyd Exr &c}
vs}
Heirs of Thomas Lloyd and}

Deposition of Henry H Marable and Allen Box witnesses for Thomas C. Lloyd, Elizabeth Bossel formerly Elizabeth Lloyd, Jane Childress formerly Jane Lloyd, James B Lloyd, George M. Lloyd, Louiza Holland formerly Louiza Lloyd, Martha C Lloyd, Jesse R Lloyd and John Lloyd defendants in this cause and heirs at law of of George or George R Lloyd dec’d

Depositions of Henry H. Marable & Allen Box witnesses for defendants in the above case taken upon notice on the 28th of July 1866 at the court house in Waverly in the presence of Zachariah Childress one of the defendants by right of his wife Jane Childress formerly Jane Lloyd

Henry H Marable one of the above witnesses age 61 years being duly sworn deposed as follows~

Please state if you were acquainted with George Lloyd or George R. Lloyd in his lifetime, if so state when you became acquainted with him at what place and where did he move from

Answer—I was acquainted with George Lloyd or George R Loyd from 1829 or 30 up to the time of his death he lived in Humphreys County near the Tennessee River and died near where he had lived some time in the year 1845 or 46 I understood him to say that he was from Grainger County Tennessee

Please state if he was known as George Lloyd or were there an R. in his name and state what his age was as near as you can~

Answer—He was some time called George Lloyd and some times called George R Lloyd I am not able to say which was his proper name as to his age I am not able to say with any degree of certainty as it has been along time since his death and I have no means of knowing his age only from recollection I suppose he must have been 35 or 40 years old when I first became acquainted with him

State if you know where he married or who did he marry and were you acquainted with any of his children -- if so state if the following named persons were his children, to wit, Thomas C. Lloyd, Elizabeth Bossel formerly Elizabeth Lloyd, Jane Childress formerly Jane Lloyd, James B. Lloyd, George M. Lloyd, Louisa Holland Louisa Lloyd, Martha C. Beazley formerly Martha C. Lloyd, Jesse R. Lloyd & John Lloyd~

Answer—Mr Loyd was married when I first knew him his wife If I am not mistaken was Nicy Jones If I am not very much mistaken -- Mr Lloyd told me that he married in Warren County Tennessee I was well acquainted with his children Thomas C Lloyd, Elizabeth Boswell or Bosel formerly Elizabeth Lloyd, Jane Childress formerly Jane Lloyd, James B Loyd, George M Lloyd, Louisa Holland formerly Louisa Lloyd, Martha C Beazley formerly Martha C Lloyd, Jessee R Lloyd & John Loyd all children of the above mentioned George Loyd and Nicy Lloyd his wife and further this deponent sayeth not~

Henry H. Marable

Allen Box a witness in the above case age 65 years, being duly sworn depose and says that he has examined the deposition of Henry H. Marable and Fully endorses the same having been well acquainted with George or George R. Lloyd and all his family during the time they lived in Humphreys County and further this deponent sayeth not~

Allen Box

State of Tennessee}
Humphreys County}

I Coleman E. Harris an acting Justice of the peace in & for said county do certify that the foregoing depositions were taken before me and reduced to writing by me Except the answers of Doct. Henry H. Marable which was wrote by himself and I certify that I am not interested in the cause nor of kin or council to either of the parties and that I sealed them up and put them in the Post office at Waverly without being out of my possession or altered after they were taken

Given under my hand this 28th day of July 1866
Coleman E Harris
Justice of the peace for sd. Cty.

J P fee $2.00
stam 10
Postage 6
$2.16 Paid by deft. Z. Childress

-----

State of Tennessee}
Humphreys County}

I, W. W. Hobbs Clerk of the county court of said county do certify that C. E. Harris is and was at the time of takeing the within depositions an acting Justice of the peace for said county duly commissioned and qualified and that full faith and credit should be given to all of his official acts as such~

Given under my hand at office in the Town of Waverly on the 28th day of July 1866
W W Hobbs Clerk
By J W Harris Depty Clerk

Find a board about a specific topic