Trying to collect info on my gr-gr-grandfather, Green Knighton, b: 1823, Spartanburg Co or Union Co, SC.
Green may have originally used the name Knight.
Green Knighton married Mary (Polly) Harrison (Daughter of Tyree Harrison & Elizabeth O'Shields) approx. in 1842.
They left SC and moved to Talladega Co., Ala. They were on the 1860 Talladega Co, Ala. Census. (At that time, they were spelling their surname Nighten). They moved to Calhoun Co,(Oxford)Ala. shortly afterwards.
Green Knighton was in the Civil War (Ala. Volunteers) and was seriously wounded and sent home to die, approx. 1865.
The names of Green Knighton & Mary A.(Polly) Harrison's Children:
1) JULIA A.Knighton, b: 1847, SC
2) William Thomas Knighton, b: 1848. SC
3) Elbert Knighton, b: 1850, SC
4) James Knighton, b: 1852
5) Mathew W. Knighton, b: 1854
6) Perry Knighton, b: 1855
7) Elizabeth Knighton, b: 1858
8) * William PINKney Knighton, b: 1861, Oxford, Al.
9) Mary Etta Knighton, b: aft. 1862, Oxford, Ala.
Hoping I can get some leads on who Green's father & Mother was.