Search for content in message boards

Maine Kidder Records

Replies: 1

Re: Maine Kidder Records

Posted: 9 Aug 2011 5:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kidder, Wilkins, Wilson, McLaughlin
Hello,

Thank you very much for posting these records. I've been researching the KIDDER's in Washington Co., ME, for 20 yrs. So, I know a lot about them, or could look in my notes or old postings if I've forgotten some.

It seems many of the early records has some mistakes in them. For one, my ancestor, Joseph "Calvin" KIDDER (1799-1891) was born in New Brunswick. In ~1830 he moved over to Calais, ME, and shortly after married Mary WILKINS. (Early records have her as Mary WILSON.) And many records have him as Calvin KIDDER, confusing him with his son, James "Calvin" KIDDER. In one book, they are known as "Cal" and "Cal, Jr."

Then son, "Cal, Jr.," married Miranda McLAUGHLIN, daughter of Laughlin McLAUGHLIN from New Brunswick. They had 10 children, and then adopted one grandson. (Bella might have been the mother of the grandson, and she didn't marry the birth-father.)

I think Daniel KIDDER was the oldest son of Cal, Jr., and Miranda. If I'm remembering correctly, his first wife died young, and Gertrude McLAUGHLIN was his second wife.

There is a descendant of this KIDDER family, and he dove into that research and wrote up a document on the family. He didn't know, and some relatives didn't know that the grandson who was adopted - was not an adopted son of Cal, Jr., and Miranda.

An FYI is that Cal, Sr., and Mary KIDDER had 6 surviving the children. But, their 2nd son died shortly after his marriage and so did his new bride. Around the same time they lost a teen-age daughter. (suspect an epidemic) The older daughter married but never had children. So, only 3 sons provided them with grandchildren. The oldest, John, lived in Calais, and (my) Joseph and younger Cal, Jr., lived in Princeton.

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
twinsmomct1 8 Aug 2011 7:41PM GMT 
bbffrrpp 9 Aug 2011 11:14AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic