Search for content in message boards

Mercy L. (Kidder) Davis

Replies: 2

Re: Mercy L. (Kidder) Davis (KIDDER / WILKINS)

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 4:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Wilkins, Bancroft
Hi again,

I'll just add an FYI to this thread. As I've mentioned in the past, Samuel WILKINS' life is a major mystery, from one end to the other.

No one knows where he was born, reportedly in 1770's "Maine" and no one knows who his parents were. * No one knows where he married Electra "Leeta" (UKNOWN), and no one knows where their 10 children were born. And, no one knows what happened to 5 or 6 of them.

In the 1810-1830 time period the family lived in Unity, ME. ~1832 they moved to Amity, ME. Samuel and Leeta brought 4 adult children with them to Amity; no one knows what happened to a daughter mentioned in Unity. Only 5 children are mentioned in Unity. No one knows whether their 2 older sons were married before they left Unity. Daughter, Mary, and younger son, George, married near Amity.

Samuel seems to have lived a long life in Amity; I have his death date in my notes. No one knows when his wife died, and no one knows where they are buried (1860's??).

Betty (near Lowell, MA)

* My educated-guess is that William and Sarah (BANCROFT) WILKINS left Middleton, MA, in 1770's to move to "Maine." And, I think Sarah had her 6th child there (Samuel), but died as a result of childbirth. They had lost 4 young children before moving. I believe that William asked another couple to raise his 7-yr-old daughter and newborn son. And that is why no one can find out about Samuel. William remained in "Maine" up past 1800, but he is not found in the 1790 or 1800 census. He seems to have never owned land, and lived with other people and moved around a lot. He did live in Pittston, ME, for a time, as he signed up for "light service" in the Rev. War from there.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
twinsmomct1 26 Jul 2011 3:23AM GMT 
bbffrrpp 26 Jul 2011 10:29AM GMT 
bbffrrpp 26 Jul 2011 10:47AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic