Search for content in message boards

Family History of Surname Hutchison

Replies: 1

Re: Family History of Surname Hutchison

Posted: 1493919905000
Classification: Query
It has been a decade since I was seriously involved in research concerning the HUTCHISON surname. I offer you my unscientific insights which are based upon review of thousands of documents.

The surname, HUTCHISON, has been used, variously, as ... Hutcherson, Hutchinson, Hutcheson, and more. These variations sometimes represent a string of families from the same family tree. Sometimes they do not. The spelling anomalies can often be traced to the fact that many of the census enumerators were barely literate. Furthering the problem was also the fact that many of those interviewed by census enumerators were functionally illiterate. Also, their spoken language was heavily laden with local coloration which made it difficult for an enumerator. Suppose, for example, that when asked one's surname, the response was ... 'mah nam is MEADOR.' [The true surname was MEADOW; but, how was the enumerator to know this? ] The person could not spell and was not literate. We know this because many of their personal public documents were signed with an "x." And so, the census enumerator did the best possible to spell the name as it was heard and not always very well.

This same logic applies to the historical use of the surname ... HUTCHISON. One must simply trace the lineage under review as carefully as possible using documentation whenever possible and scouring all available resources for them.

Best wishes,

Francis Keenan (AKA, android)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nikole Nakvin... 1493913893000 
android 1493919905000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic