Search for content in message boards

Information wanted on parents of Joseph Hutchison 1784-1814, Greene County TN

Replies: 0

Information wanted on parents of Joseph Hutchison 1784-1814, Greene County TN

Posted: 1429994580000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hutchison Cook Smith
I am researching the Hutchison family and have run into a problem. I can't seem to find much on the parents of Joseph Hutchison (1784-1814). He was born in Greene County TN and died in the war of 1812 in Alabama in 1814 and was married to Eve Cook Smith (1768-1811). He is also the father of Joseph Hutchison Jr 1801-1877, who married Rachel Myers in 1820, raised ten children and moved to Missouri in 1853.

It appears Joseph Sr was one of three sons of a Thomas Hutchison, William and John being the other two. This comes from Greene County tax records from 1809. There is also a petition from 1809, signed by Thomas Hutchison and other asking for more time to get their land surveyed. Thomas is also in the deed book for Geene County between 1790-1802 with two parcels of land.

I did find the will of Eve Cook Smith's father, mentioning her and six children. She was married before she met Joseph Sr to a Jacob Smith 1757-1796 and had two children by him. She met Joseph after moving to Greene County from Pennsylvania and would have been 16 years older than him when they met. Another anomaly is that they married (24 Mar 1802) AFTER Joseph Jr was born (1801). For this reason Jr does not show up in a lot of searches. It was only after I entered "Eve Cook Smith" instead of "Eve Cook" that he showed up.

Nowhere have I been able to find any more information, including birth, death and marriage. Every search results in either Thomas Hutchison of Lincoln County KY (Verlinda Owsley) or Thomas Hutchison and Margaret Wilson. The former is the wrong location and the latter married four years after Joseph Sr was born. In addition, the offspring do not match up.

Any help would be terrific!

Find a board about a specific topic