John Buck

Replies: 11

Re: John Buck

Posted: 11 Jun 2013 6:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Buck
Hi Larry,
Glad you started a new thread.
OK..first...The John C Buck found onn the 1830 Census for Caddo, Clark, AR is NOT our John Buck. This was a young man with a wife and a couple of kids.
It's "possible" that he might have been a son of our John because our John was abt. 42 in 1830 and I have seen marriages in these lines where the man was 19 and the wife 14 and they already had children!!!
Maybe this son was sent down to check things out? But it is a fact that our John's land grant was the same year as his first child that was born in AR (1839 ??)
So...In 1830 our John our John Buck would have been in TN but where..can anyone find him??
I just sent you and someone else the photos of the huge blanket gravestone that was installed over the grave of Wiiliam S Buck who was John and Betsy's 1st son. On this huge stone it shows his parents as John and Elizabeth and then it lists ALL the children that reached adulthood. There were 9.

The children listed on that huge gravestone are listed in this order with the years they were born....I am adding the place of birth from what I can see.

William S 1816 NC (Martin County?)
Edward Rel 1819 NC
Morgan 1823 NC
Martha "Patsy" 1824 TN
Ailsey 1823 TN
Martin 1827 TN (Henderson?)
Sarah Ann 1832
Nancy 1836 TN
B. Cornelius AR 1839
I know other children show up on various census reports but they either died young or were not from John and Betsy.

The name "John" isn't listed on this stone so either this child died early or he was someone else's child. The names Cora or Addolinealso do not appear on this stone.
This stone also lists the children of William S Buck and his wife.
I wish I could post the pics here but can't so if anyone wants to see the pics then email me at gsdmoonshadow@aol.com

I also sent out a new email showing the PROOF that OUR JOHN BUCK was not the same John Buck who married Elizabeth Barnett in Carter Co., TN in 1818.
That John Buck is very well documented. He was the son of Jonathon Taylor Buck and Zuriah Covalt. He was b. in a different year in PA (not NC like our John).
He also was married twice. His first wife, Glaphy Denton died in 1818 in childbirth (baby lived and was named Glaphy like her mom)..John married again right away as many did back then and he married Elizabeth Barnett the same year 1818 in Carter Co., TN. They went on to have many children. Their children did not seem to share the same first names that are so prevalent in our Buck lines.
I have sent pix of this John Buck of Carter Co., of himself and his gravestone and of the other Buck graves. There is even a picture somewhere of Glaphy Denton but not one of Elizabeth Barnett.
So...maybe the old unsubstantiated rumor that our "Betsy" was indeed a "Stone" might be true because she sure wasn't a Barnett.
All the Pitt Co., Records where we believe our John and Betsy came from were burned in 1858. Some Buck records were put together thru land records and a will that had been sent away somewhere else to be registered when the fire happened.
Some believe that a man named Isaac Buck came from Scituate, MA to NC. He had abt. 10 sons and 3 daughters. Because the records are burned the researchers put together most but not all his sons from land records.
It is believed that this Isaac had a son named John and there are records in NC showing a man named John R Buck being b. abt 1761 in Martin Co., NC. This would be the right age to be the father of our John Buck of Clark Co., AR.
Because they are near the same age I also suspect that our John and Morgan Buck who died in AL in 1829 at age 47 might have been brothers out of this John R Buck.
The following year after Morgan's death in 1830 we find a John, Morgan and Ebenezer living next to or a house apart in Fayette, TN. Then in 1840 none of these men are in Fayette anymore. And it looks like Ebenezer moved to Clark Co., ARE and Morgan to Madison Co., AR but not sure about John. He sure wasn't the same John found in 1830 in Caddo, Clark, AR in 1830 but what a coincidence huh?
I did find in the 1840 census in Jefferson Co., AR a John N Buck with an interesting amount of people living him.
4 men 30-40
4 men 20-30
1 boy 5-10
1 boy 10-15
1 female 40-50
1 girl 15-20
So maybe this was same John Buck that was either in Fayette, TN or Caddo Clark, AR in 1830.
As a side note I saw that in 1820 census there were these Bucks listed:
Cornelius pg. 113
Cornelius pg. 389
James pg. 77
I have no idea where in TN these men were located.
In 1830 I find 3 John Bucks listed:
John C Buck - Caddo, Clark, AR
John Buck - Crawford Co, AR tax list
John Buck - Chicot Co, AR tax list
I need to research more in all of TN for Bucks living there in 1830.
Here is a list of all the John Buck's in 1820 NC census and 3 more listed before that. (remember that boundaries changed and new Counties were being formed so some of these may be the same man.
John Buck - Richmaond, NC
John Buck - Pitt, NC
John A Buck - Beaufort, NC
and there are these:
John Buck - 1812 Rowan Co., NC
John Buck - 1814 Richmond Co., NC
John Buck 1786 Dist. #1, Halifax Co., NC (Pitt was formed out of Halifax)
Hope this helps...
Licia
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
lgbuck1 11 Jun 2013 9:35PM GMT 
gsdmoonshadow 12 Jun 2013 12:06AM GMT 
lgbuck1 28 Aug 2013 11:11PM GMT 
lgbuck1 29 Aug 2013 12:06AM GMT 
gsdmoonshadow 12 Jun 2013 5:32AM GMT 
gsdmoonshadow 12 Jun 2013 8:12AM GMT 
gsdmoonshadow 12 Jun 2013 5:48AM GMT 
lgbuck1 12 Jun 2013 9:56PM GMT 
gsdmoonshadow 12 Jun 2013 10:36PM GMT