Search for content in message boards

Looking for William Bates from Orillia, Ontatio, Canada

Replies: 3

Re: Looking for William Bates from Orillia, Ontatio, Canada

Posted: 1524414316000
Classification: Query
Thank You Don,

I have learned a great deal about Lillian since this post. She was British Home child sent over to Canada 6 Jul 1884, aboard the Circassian. She was sent through Barnardos. In 1891 she is listed as domestic with the Joseph S Gill family. She followed their daughter Mary Lovering as a domestic 1901. Barnardos checked up on their children throughout their lives. They sent a letter to Lillian's neighbor asking about her life. I have a copy. Its a sad story of how William was unkind to her and left her to fend for her and their children on her own for long periods of time.

I have her marriage to William Bates and his service records for WWI. But he seems to disappear after 1921. Family lore is he left to get a loaf of bread and never came back home. Some has speculated that he had met a nurse when he was in injured in the war and hospitalized in England and returned there to be with her.

Martha would have been his sister. I have records on her marriages and the death of her infant child. I have no photos of her or her headstone. I sure appreciate this information!

Lillian and Williams' son has also disappeared from any record. I have searched for his death in New York but found nothing. My mother spoke to his daughter but she wouldn't tell us anything. Her father was not always truthful on census records and was a very private person.

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
hmsgirl48 1230255427000 
wjamesmaclean 1318458093000 
senesco 1524411756000 
hmsgirl48 1524414316000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic