Search for content in message boards

BARTLETT, Eunice W -- looking for birth (1855 Ohio) and death (1948 location unknown) information

Replies: 0

BARTLETT, Eunice W -- looking for birth (1855 Ohio) and death (1948 location unknown) information

Posted: 1503595324000
Classification: Query
Surnames: BARTLETT, HOUSER
*Working to prove lineage to Civil War survivor (her husband, James Wesley HOUSER), and am required to show BMD for spouse Eunice W BARTLETT (1855-1948).
*The 1860 and 1870 censuses show us Eunice was living in Glastonbury, CT with her father Moses Wilcox BARTLETT and stepmother Agnes. Both censuses tell us Eunice was born in Ohio (do not know where). Ohio was not required to report births in 1855.
*Eunice and James Wesley HOUSER were married in 1874 in Three Rivers, MI. (I have this record).
*The 1880 census tells us Eunice and James were living in Three Rivers, MI along with their two daughters Ida May (4, and from whom I am descended) and Cornelia (2).
*However, by 1900 James W HOUSER is listing himself as divorced in the census (and all subsequent censuses), but still living in Three Rivers MI. No mention of Eunice in Three Rivers at the time. Both daughters were married in 1899. Neither daughter has their mother living with them in any subsequent censuses. In addition, James W HOUSER does not remarry and dies in 1920. His granddaughter May is in the informant on the death record.
*So sometime between 1880 and 1900 Eunice (BARTLETT) HOUSER and James W HOUSER divorced, or at least parted ways. I have not found a divorce record yet in Three Rivers, but they may have simply split without making it formal.
*Eunice's mother died in 1858 and her father in 1903. Eunice did not go home to CT after the divorce.
*I have checked census records for Eunice's full brothers and sisters, but do not see Eunice listed. I have checked census records for Eunice's grandchildren as well, but have not found her living with them.
*It's possible Eunice W (BARTLETT) HOUSER re-married but I would have thought the multiple family interviews I've conducted over the years would have told me this.

Find a board about a specific topic