Search for content in message boards

John Adamson & Ann Skew

Replies: 0

John Adamson & Ann Skew

Posted: 1081027805000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Adamson, Skew/Shew/Shute/Skute
Dear Friends, I want to withdraw some previous findings I reported which I cannot further authenticate. I regret if it causes inconvenience to Adamson researchers, and I apologize for it. Some time ago I reported that Ann Skew/Shew/etc was part of a Swedish family who were early settlers along the Delaware River, inhabiting what is now Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The name was variously seen as Skew/Shew/Shue/Skute/Shute/etc. There is much documentation for this family, especially at the Swedish museum here, and many extant marked gravesites in the Philadelphia area. Because of my beginner's enthusiasm, I latched on to this Swedish Ann Skew as the wife of John Adamson, married at the Newton Meeting in (then) Gloucester County NJ about 1715. Two experienced Adamsons, Evelyn of Nebraska and Jerry of Kansas, convinced me I jumped the gun on this, and have patiently guided me into deeper research. The Skews were operating a trading post very near the Newton colony and I assumed their daughter to be the Ann I was looking for, based mostly on the convenience of location. I did not consider the religious implications of a Lutheran-Quaker marriage in 1715, among other things. There is another Adamson, a "Jeames" listed in the 1680s on a grand jury in Gloucester County, but I can otherwise find no Adamson info for that time or place. A trip to the state archives in Trenton is necessary, as I have exhausted all the local NJ and PA sources. I am now considering that "Skew" was a mistake by the clerk of the meeting, perhaps an entry made during a hectic meeting, or made some time after the marriage itself, which was part or similar to another name, for instance, "Askew." For those of you who relied on my misguided assumptions, I am sorry for your inconvenience. During this final week of Lent, I shall make sincere atonement during my church visits. You can write me at headamson@aol.com..

Find a board about a specific topic