Search for content in message boards

Peter Shields or Peter Shiel Immigrated to the US 1855

Replies: 2

Re: Peter Shields or Peter Shiel Immigrated to the US 1855

Posted: 1538196010000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1538196220000
Hello!

I think I may have found the family but some of the names and dates are different, which is not that unusual.

I found them in Hottviller, Moselle, Lorraine, France which was part of Alsace. Unfortunately, Moselle only has their Tables décennales (10-year indexes) online but none of the actual records, which will contain much more information. They also have not put any censuses online yet.

You should email or write to the Town Hall of Hottviller and request copies of the documents. Make sure to include all the information here. If you don't speak French, just begin your message by apologizing that you don't speak French. They are usually happy to help. How long until you get a reply depends on how busy they are, so it might be a while. If you need any help translating any reply or documents you get, post them here and we'll be happy to help.

Mairie d'Hottviller
11 Rue de Bitche
57720 Hottviller
FRANCE
email: commune.hottviller@tubeo.eu

Here's what I found - all events took place in Hottviller.

Pierre Schiel, born 31 July 1819, to François Schiel and Marguerite Wirtzer/Wurtzer. He married Catherine Spies on 12 October 1846. (Note that Catherine and Madeleine sound similar.) Catherine was born 5 February 1810 to Matheiu Spies and Barbe Fruh. She died 31 July 1851. Pierre and Catherine had one child I could find:

Catherine Schiel born 13 May 1848 (Note: often when mother and daughter had the same name the child would be called something else. They may have referred to Catherine as Barbe, after her grandmother, or it may even have been her middle name.)

Pierre then married Anne Marie Schneider on 18 June 1852. Anne Marie was born 30 April 1828 to Georges Schneider and Catherine Schaff.

Hope that's some help.

Cheers,

Soosi
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Michael Shiel... 1538185256000 
Soosi Monahan 1538196010000 
jeanmarcmerig... 1538329070000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic