Search for content in message boards

Thomas BELL - Winter's Flat 1856-1863

Replies: 1

Thomas BELL - Winter's Flat 1856-1863

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 10:06PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BELL WINTER ARMSTRONG
Seeking any information about my great great grandfather Thomas BELL (born Allendale Northumberland in 1827) who arrived in Victoria on board the 'Lightning' on 15/7/1856. I know that he was living at Winter's Flat as a miner at least as early as July, 1860 when his daughter Eleanor Ann was born. His wife Elizabeth (nee ARMSTRONG) did not arrive until August, 1858 on board the 'Africa', together with son Robert. The earliest newspaper record of Thomas I can locate was in the 'Ballarat Star' in 6/8/1864 with the notification of his share holding in the Alston & Weardale Mining Company. I want to find out exactly where Thomas was living from 1856 until 1860 and whether he owned land or leased etc.. I understand that this area was on the Bonshaw property owned by a John Winter. Does anyone know whether miners were able to lease mining land on Winter's property? The only advertisements I can find in the newspapers refer to leasing on the basis of developing the land for other purposes! So I am not sure what this meant for Thomas in his mining pursuits. Can anyone please clarify this for me? Perhaps someone may know of the BELLs at Winter's Flat? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks, Rob

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
rbell35 31 Oct 2011 4:06AM GMT 
Alison Willia... 5 Dec 2011 7:00AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic