Search for content in message boards

Offutt Family

Replies: 3

Offutt Family

Posted: 1407790261000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Offutt Neely
Seeking help from someone in Doddridge County. I'm trying to determine correct dates of death for Zachariah and Harriet (nee Neely) Offutt. Both are buried in Archbold Cemetery. The FInd A Grave Memorial for Zachariah has the date of death as December 14, 1886. Harriet has May 29, 1901. Yet in a history of Northern West Virginia printed in 1895 there is a biography of Zachariah Offutt and it doesn't refer to him as being deceased. In the 1900 Census I find a Zachariah Offutt with wife Harriet in the Grant Magesterial District. The date of birth listed for Zachariah matches the date on the grave marker. The final piece of evidence that I have is that there is a death register entry for a Zachariah Offutt who died December 13, 1906 in Doddridge County (Located on the West Virginia Division of Culture and History website). I've tried GenealogyBank and Newspapers.com trying to locate an obituary for Zachariah. There was one printed in the Washington Post December 23, 1906 that doesn't list a date of death and refers to a Zachariah T. Offutt, recently deceased who was the brother of the late Nicholas D. Offutt of Montgomery County. Any one familiar with or living in Doddridge County have any ideas or suggestions on where I could possibly find anything else that would help? I would really like to get the memorial on Find A Grave corrected even if the headstone was improperly carved. There seems to be no contact information for the cemetery other than a P.O. Box for a fund for maintenance.

Thanks
Dave O.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
doffutt 1407790261000 
thomasker2 1410351409000 
Linn_Searcher 1452467319000 
doffutt 1452471151000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic