Search for content in message boards

Lewis family in Smyth, VA (William Lewis, wives Permelia J Smith and Nancy J)

Replies: 0

Lewis family in Smyth, VA (William Lewis, wives Permelia J Smith and Nancy J)

Posted: 1487539598000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lewis, Heninger
The 1860 census of Smyth county implies that John Lewis born ca 1774 is the father of William Lewis born 1817 in VA, married (1) Permelia J Smith, married (2) Nancy J. Some trees connect this John to Sally Henninger in Burkes Garden, VA. In 1850 there is a John Lewis married to Sarah living in Washington County. William (born 1817) is in Smyth county (with second wife Nancy). Both share a 13-14 year old male, Jefferson or Jason Lambert. In checking 1840, 1830, 1820, 1810 census of Washington, it would appear that John Lewis with a much younger wife (Sally or Sarah) has a male child younger than William, as well as 3 females. That could be the John Henry Lewis (born ca 1820) who married Rhoda Elizabeth Hicks in Tazewell, VA and is in 1850 census of the country. I was able to connect children of William, John Henry Lewis (born late 1840's died 1911, married to Rebecca Brittain) to Tazewell county by newspaper. He had two brothers, W.G. Lewis of Marion, and Edward Lewis of Bristol. I connected all the sources (including newspaper articles) matching this family to William Lewis, LRJH-GWH, on familytree. If the Sarah listed in 1850 with John Lewis is in fact Sally Heninger, then William is the son named in 1837 will of Tazewell, along with the sister Louisa.

These Lewis' are buried in Sullivan county TN and in Smyth, VA, Chillhowie, area.

My only question...is the younger Lewis male shown with John Lewis in Washington county (1820-1840 census) our John Henry Lewis from Tazewell (born ca 1820) who married into the Hicks family? Given the discrepancy in age between John and Sarah, it is possible that he is the father to both John Lewis of Burke's Garden (born ca 1804) who married Polly Heninger, and also our John Henry Lewis in Tazewell (ca 1820) who first pays taxes in the county in 1844 and every year thereafter, and then marries Rhoda Hicks.

We have DNA from our John Henry Lewis (24 and 36 marker) on file with familytreedna. It would be great to find a matching family from Virginia.

Find a board about a specific topic