Search for content in message boards

Allnutt Family and their slaves

Replies: 2

Allnutt Family and their slaves

Posted: 1532561596000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Allnutt. Nutt. Genus.
I am searching for information concerning the slaves were owned by the Allnutt family in Loudoun County before the civil war; some of these slaves continued to work on behalf of the Allnutts even after the war as laborers.

The slave family that I am interested in goes by the surname Genus/Jenus. Eliza Genus, my 5th great grandmother, was a slave owned by Robert G. (R. G.), James L., and Ellen Allnutt -- who are all siblings to each other. A 1850 slave schedule for Ellen shows a female slave born around 1822 that might be Eliza, and a 1860 slave schedule for Robert also has a female slave suggested to be born around 1825, probably also Eliza. In an 1870 census record, Eliza and her family (likely children and grandchildren) are living with Robert as house servants.

Another possible slave of the Allnutt family is a man by the name of Martin Lee, who was revealed in a 1860 census record to be living with Robert as a free black man. He had a son with Eliza named Zachariah, who died in Leesburg on 1913.

If you have any personal information about the Allnutts and their slaves (e.g., diary records, wills, court records, neighbor testimonies, etc) especially Eliza Genus, Martin Lee, and other Genus family members, please contact me. I am especially looking for the relationship between the Allnutts and their slaves -- such as whether their relationship was good or bad.

From,
Nathaniel Lloyd

P.S.,
Genus is a tricky surname, as during my research I have come across various spellings of the surname (e.g., Jenus, Janus, Janis, Genous, etc)
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Nathaniel Llo... 1532561596000 
pduncan8151 1532605096000 
Nathaniel Llo... 1532635692000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic