Search for content in message boards

Rev. Joseph Thomas, New Valley, 1765-1786

Replies: 21

Re: Rev. Joseph Thomas, New Valley, 1765-1786

Posted: 1523897992000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1523904287000
Thomas John, Jr 's daughter Martha married my William Lewis that was at New Valley Baptist Church in Loudoun. We have Thomas John, Sr too who we think may have been father and son. We haven't traced them back but these are the records I have on them...
These records probably overlap but I an copying and pasting on what I have saved and they are not in order

We think Thomas John, SR is my Thomas John, JR 's father but not sure.

Patent: July 31, 1740, E-166, THOMAS JOHN, late from Pennsylvania but now of Prince William Co., 502 acres, adj. JOHN MEAD, Kiticktan Cr., Col. JOHN COLVILLl, JACOB JANNEY, Messrs COCKE & MERCER. (Va. Northern Neck Land Grants 1694-1742, compiled by Gertrude E. Gray)
Note: Part of Prince William Co. later became Fairfax Co. and then Loudoun Co.

Tax List: 1760, Loudoun Co., VA, THOMAS JOHN had SUSANNAH BENNETT enumerated with him. (This may also be his father instead.)

WILL OF THOMAS JOHN
Loudoun County, Va.
Dated: 13 December 1770
No Probate date given
Loudoun Co., Va. Will Book A. p. 289
Will filed 14 Jan 1771 Loudoun Co., Va.

Be it known unto whom it may Concern that I THOMAS JOHN of the parish of Cammeron County of Loudoun and Colony of Virginia (Malstar). Being weak in Body tho of sound Memory and Judgment Do therefore make and Ordain this my last Will and Testament this Thirteenth Day of December in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven hundred and Seventy In this manner and form following. IMPRIMIS I will that all just Debts which I shall Owe att the time of my D__ together with my funeral Charges be only Observ'd and paid. I do hereby Constitute, D__ and appoint my trusty and loving friends WILLIAM GEORGE and RICHARD WILLIAMS both of the same plans to be my sole Executors of this my last Will and Testament to Act Jointly or severally as this case may Require by Reason of Death or other Disability Giving them or Either of them full power to sell all my Cattle and horses __ and utensils of husbandry. S__ my household furniture of what kind __ and of any of the Money arising from the sale of my personal Estate. Doth Remain Over and about paying my said Debts I will and direct that all the sums shall be Equally Divided among my three Daughters that is to my RACHEL REYNOLDS and JANE COX of Carolina and SUSANNA MATTHEWS of Maryland. But in Case that Either or all my Daughters should Die before their share should become Due then their or Either of theirs share to D__ is to be Equallly Divided among her or their Children share and __ alike and payable by my Executors within One year __ from the Day of my D__.
ITEM I give and bequest unto my Son in law SAMUEL HARRIS his heirs and assigns for Ever my plantation whereon I now live, Containng one hundred and fifty acres be the same more or less or the Deed Specifies with all the Buildings and Improvements thereon [ not withstanding an Instrument of writing acknowledg'd by me in Loudoun Court and Recorded in the clerks offce ] my will and Request is that no part or parcel on the whole may be sold Bartor'd or Convey'd to my person or persons whatsoever Durong the Natural life of my Daughter MARY HARRIS Wife now to SAMUEL HARRIS, In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal and Revoking all former wills and Testaments whatsoever by me Made the Day and Date above Written published pronunced and ordered by the said THOMAS JOHN as his last will and testament

THOMAS (his mark T) JOHN
GEORGE GREGG
ABNER HOWELL
OWEN ROBERTS

At a Court for Loudoun County January 14th 1771
This Will was proved by the affirmation of GEORGE GREGG and Oath of ABNER HOWELL of WILLIAM GEORGE and RICHARD WILLIAMS the Executors therein named and affirmed and made Oath according to Law Certificants is granted them for obtaining a probate thereof in one form giving Security. Whereupon they together with GEORGE GREGG and SAMUEL HARRIS their Securities entered into and acknowledged Bond in the penalty of two hundred pounds current money with Condition as the Law directs

Examd" TESTE
CHA. BINNS, Clerk

We the following (being first sworn & affirmed) have Inventory'd & appraised Estate of THOMAS JOHN decd shewd us by the Executor RICH WILLIAMS as Under Viz

A list of inventory given.

provd J. CLAPHAM

Jan 23 1771

FARLING BALL
THO. GEORGE
GEORGE GREGG

At a Court for Loudoun County April the 8th 1771.
This Inventory and Appraisement was returned into Court and ordered to be recorded

Examd TESTE CHA. BINNS, Cl.

THOMAS JOHN ESTATE ACCT, 1773

The Estate of THOMAS JOHN in account with WILLIAM HOUGE and RICHARD WILLIAMS Exors

To paid BINNS note
To paid JANNEY & TAYLOR
To paid BALLANCE McGAVINS
To paid CHRISTOPHER PERFECT
To paid JOSEPH HOUGH
To Secretary's Note
To paid OWEN ROBERTS
To paid OWEN ROBERTS account
To paid MARY CAVINS
To paid RICHARD ROACH
To paid WILLIAM ELLZEY
To paid BINNS note
To paid SAMUEL HARRIS's account
To paid WILLIAM DOUGLAS
To paid MOSES PEAK
To paid JANNEY & TAYLOR
To paid THOMAS BEA__ of Maryland
To paid JAMES BALL
To Commissions of our trouble in managing the Estate
To Error in JANNEY & TAYLOR provd Acct.
To Ballance in the hands of the Executors
L78 ,, 7 3

1771 Loudoun County , Va.

By amount of the Appraisement of the Whole Estate
By cash recd of ABRAHAM DAWSON
By cash recd of WILLIAM JONES
By cash of THOMAS GEORGE
By the amount of the Sale above the appraisement

Eexamined March 15th 1774
J. CLAPHAM

At a Court continued and held for Loudoun County the 15th day of March 1774
This account of the administration of THOMAS JOHNS Estate by the executors was returned Examined & Ordered to be Recorded,ed

Examined
Teste
CHA. BINS, CL

"May 8, 1739. RICHARD WOOD of Truro Parish, planter to THOMAS JOHNS of Cecile Co., Maryland, planter ... for 120 lbs. Sterl ... tract on sw. side of Quitockton (Kitockton) Mt. On drains of Quetockton Run containing 200 a ... interseds with line of 100 a. bought out of the same tract which was 600 a. bought of COL. CARTER land office by above sd. WOOD and sold unto WiILLIAM PERSEY and is now in possession of JOHN AWBREY untill it interseds with line of RICHARD WOOD, JR. ... deeds of lease and release. RICHARD WOOD. Wits: AMOS JANNEY, JOSEPH GARRETT , JOHN OWEN, THOMAS JOHN, JR. . May 9, 1739 rec'd of THOMAS JOHN sum of 100 lbs. Sterl. At court Nov. 26, 1739 this release with receit endorsed were proved by wits." [SOURCE: Transcribed by Mari Morrow from Prince William County Deed Book Liber D 1738-1740, abstracted by June Whitehurst Johnson, Copyright 1984, pages 278-282.]

Two land surveys listing THOMAS JOHNS and THOMAS JOHNS, JUNR. as chain carriers:

"JOHN MEAD; Prince William; 26 Mar. 1740 - 29 Apr. 1740; 1,009 acres on S Br Kitocktan & Vollintines Br of Goose Creek; adj. CAPT. SAMUEL JOHNSON, BENJAMIN GRESSOM (now COLO. JOHN TAYLOE's), Arnail Linas. Chain Carriers THOS. JOHNS & THOMAS JOHNS, JUNR.r. Surv. JOHN AWBREY." [SOURCE: Abstracts of Virginia's Northern Neck Warrants & Surveys 1653-1781 Volume V. 1995. Pg. 86. Abstracted by Don G. Price, Virginia Genealogical Records.]

Fairfax Co., Va Deed Book C. pp. 203-206:

Indenture 13th/14th May 1751 between THOMAS JOHN of county of Fairfax, and MARY, his wife, and JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS of County of Chester in province of Pensilvania.. deeds of release .. for sum of 105 pounds Two shillings and Six Pence.. sold land in Fairfax County as expressed in one deed of lease and release from RICHARD WOOD to THOMAS JOHN for 200 acres dated Ninth day of May 1739 and Registered in Libre D folio 280 and also one other deed from GEORGE GREGG to said THOMAS JOHN for 60 acres dated 11th May 1751, the whole containing 243 acres..

Signed: THOMAS x JOHN
Presence of FRANCIS HAGUE, JOHN HOUGH, EDMUND SANDS, HENRY BROWN
Lease/Release recorded 25th June 1751.

Fairfax County, Va. Deed Book C, pp. 206-207:

Indenture 14th May 1751 between JOSEPH HAINES of West Nottingham in Chester County, Pensylvania, Yeoman, and HENRY REYNOLDS of same place, Yeoman, of one part and THOMAS JOHN, of county of Fairfax, Yeoman, and MARY, his wife, of other part... Whereas said THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, , by their Indenture of Lease and Release... bearing date the day of the date of these presents and made between said THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, of one part and the said JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS of other part in consideration therein mentioned.. have conveyed to JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS.. all that parcel of land whereon said THOMAS JOHN, and MARY, his wife, now liveth...covenanted. that said THOMAS JOHN andMARY, his wife, shall on or before 15th May 1753.. content and pay or cause to be paid to JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS .. just sum of One hundred and five pounds Two shillings and Six Pence current lawful money of Pensilvania.. with lawful interest, that is to say, Forty five pounds Nine shillings and Seven pence with interest aforesaid to HENRY REYNOLDS..

Signed: JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS
Mortgage recorded 25th June 1751.

Fairfax Co., Va Deed Book C, pp. 208-211:

Indenture 9th/10th May 1751 between THOMAS JOHN of county of Fairfax, Farmer, and MARY, his wife, and GEORGE GREGG of samem Farmer... deeds of lease and release..for consuderation of a certain parcel of land conveyed to THOMAS JOHN by good Sufficient Deed of Lease and Release by said GREGG..... sold land beginning at small hickry Standing in one of GREGGS fields...containing 17 acres.. the which tract being part of a Tact containing 200 acres which said 200 acres was conveyed to said THOMAS JOHN by RICHARD WOOD by a deed of Lease and Release bearing date 9th May 1739.. Registered Book D Folio 28 (sic) it being part of a tract containing 600 acres which was confirmed to RICHARD WOOD by patent.. bearing date 13th 1728.9 Registered in Book B folio 216..

Signed: THOMAS x JOHN and MARY x JOHN

Presence of FRANCIS HOGUE, JOHN HOUGH, EDMUNDS SANDS, HENRY BROWN
Lease/Release recorded 25th June 1751

Fairfax Co., Va Deed Book C, pp. 211-214:

Indenture 10th/11th May 1751 between GEORGE GREGG of county of Fairfax, Yeoman, and ELIZABETH, his wife,.. and THOMAS JOHN of same pace. Yeoman.. deeds of lease and release.. Whereas there is a certain parcel of land aforesaid now in Tenor or Occupation of said THOMAS JOHN.. containing 60 acres,it being a part of a tract containing 100 acres which WILLIAM PIERCY bought of RICHARD WOOD out of tract conveying 600 acres and said PIERCY sold the same to CAPT. FRANCIS AWBREY who by his last will and testament left same to his son, JOHN AWBREY, who by his last will and testament invested his wife, MARY AWBREY, with full power to convey same to above said GEORGE GREGG which was done by Lease and Release duly recorded in Clerks office of Fairfax County.. for sum of Ten pounds . solf 60 acres..

Signed: GEORGE GREGG and ELIZABETH GREGG

Presence of FRANCIS HOGUE, JOHN HOUGH, EDMUND SANS, HENRY BROWN

Fairfax County, Va Deed Boo C, pp. 248-251:

Indenture 27th/28th September 1751 between THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, of Fairfax County, Yeoman, and WILLIAM RAMSAY, Mercht... deeds of lease and release ...for sum of One hundred pounds of current money of Virginia.. sold land on south branch of Kittockton.. being part of a tract of land conformed by JOHN MEAD by patent.. bearing date 27th January 1741 Registered Libre E folio 211... line of COLO. JOHN TAYLOE's corner to a tract of land surveyed for CAPT. JOHN MONOR... by a drain of Goose Crek corner to tract of land surveyed for GEDNEY CLARK.. line of WILLIAM FAIFRFAX, ESQR. .. line of COL. JOHN TAYLOES tract bought of FRANCIS AWBREY.. containing 1050 acres of land...

Presence of NATH. SMITH, BENJA. SEBASTIAN
Lease.Release recorded 1st January 1752.

Fairfax County, Va. Deed Book D , pp. 428-433:

" On Margin, 26 Oct 1757 Sent inclosed to Mr. G. JOHNSTON."
Indenture 21st/22nd June 1757 between WILLIAM RAMSEY of Town of Alexandria, Gent. and ANN, his wife, and ABRAHAM BARNES of Saint Mary's County in Province of Maryland, Gent. deeds of lease and release.. for the sum of 26,164 pounds of crop Tobacco... sold tract of land WILLIAM RAMSEY purchased of THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife.. 28th Sep 1751.. recorded Fairfax County Liber C Folio 248 on first day Jan 1752... on south branch of Kittockton.. line of COL.: JOHN TAYLOE's corner tract of land surveyed for CAPT. JOHN MINOR. .. small drain of Goose Creek.. corner land surveyed for GEDNEY CLARK.. line of FRANCIS AWBREY.. 1050 acres..
Signed: WM. RAMSAY and ANN RAMSAY
Presence of JOHN KIRKPATRICK, DANIEL McCARTY, HENRY PIPER, G. JOHNSTON
Lease/Release recorded 22nd June 1757.

RACHEL JOHN married HENRY BROWN 19 OCT 1739 in Chester Co., PA. He was born 5 JUL 1701 in Chester Co., PA.

Thomas John, JR.

Will of THOMAS JOHN, Loudoun Co., Virginia

Loudoun County VA Will Book A, page 220
Written 13 July 1769
Proved 11 September 1769

In The Name of God Amen

The thirteenth Day of July 1769, I THOMAS JOHN of Loudoun County in the Colony of Virginia, Farmer, being very Sick and Weak in Body but of perfect Mind and Memory Thanks be given to God Therefore calling to Mind the Mortality of my Body and knowing that it is appointed for all Men once to die do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament; That is to say principally and first of all, I give and recommend my soul unto the Hands of Almighty God that gave it and my Body I recommend to the Earth to be buried in decent Christian burial at the Direction of my Executors; nothing doubting but at the general Resurrection I shall receive the same again by the mighty power of God. And as touching such Worldly Estate wherewith it has pleased God to bless me in this Life I give and demise and dispose of the same in the following Manner and Forrm.

First I give and bequeath to my Son BENJAMIN JOHN and to MARTHA JOHN my dearly beloved Wife my whole Estate real and personal during her Widowhood in joint partnership or otherwise as they may agree they paying and discharging my funeral expenses, other just Debts, bringing up my Children in Christian manner (they my said Children being subject unto them until they come of age) - and paying the following Legacies that is to say to my four Daughters, MARY JOHN, SARAH JOHN, HANNAH JOHN, and DINAH JOHN the sum of Twenty pounds Currency Each to be paid on their Marriage, and to my sons JOHN, THOMAS and DANIEL the sum of five pounds Currency Each to be paid in two Years after my decease. But if the said MARTHA my Wife should Marry My said Son BENJAMIN shall have the possession of all and singular of the above mentioned Estate on the Before mentioned Conditions her thirds only excepted and after the natural life of the said MARTHA my Dearly beloved Wife my said Son BENJAMIN shall freely Hold and Possess the said Estate real and Personal for Himself his Heirs and Assigns forever, And I do make constitute and ordain MARTHA my said Wife and my said son BENJAMIN joint Executors of this my last Will and Testament and I do appoint and Nominate my kind and faithful Friends JOSEPH THOMAS and THOMAS GEORGE Trustees to see this my last Will and Testament Truly and Legally executed And I do hereby utterly disallow revoke and disannul all and every other former Testaments Wills Legacies and Bequests and Executors by me any ways before named willed or bequeathed ratifying and confirming this and no other to my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my Hand and seal the day and Year above written.

Signed by THOMAS JOHN with his mark.

Signed sealed published pronounced and declared by the THOMAS JOHN to be his last Will and Testament in the Presence of Us.

ALLEN ROBINETT
GEORGE LEWIS
JONATHAN PRICE

At a Court held for Loudoun County Sept. the 11th 1769. This Will was proved by the Oaths of GEORGE LEWIS and JONATHAN PRICE Witnesses thereto and Ordered to be Recorded and on the Motion of BENJAMIN JOHN one of the Executors therein named who made Oath according to Law. Certificate is granted him for obtaining a Probate thereof in due form giving Security Whereupon he together with JOSEPH THOMAS and WILLIAM JONES his securities entered into and acknowledged Bond in the Penalty of Five hundred pounds Current Money with Condition as the Law direct, and liberty is reserved to the other Executor therein named to join in the Probate thereof when she shall think fit.

Teste
CHA. BINN, Clerk

(The "mark" of THOMAS JOHN on this document is very different from the "mark" of the THOMAS JOHN who patented land in Fairfax and Prince William counties, VA. The above THOMAS refers to himself as "farmer" while the other THOMAS is called "yeoman" and "malster" in deeds.)
_-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other John Data...... this would be in my John line....

William REYNOLDS, of West Nottingham Twp., Chester Co., Province of
Pennsylvania, and Rachel JOHN, daughter of Thomas of Cecil Co., Province of
Maryland, were married on the 19th day 10th month 1739 at Public Meeting of
Friends at West Nottingham.
Witness list was unreadable.

Patent: July 31, 1740, E-166, THOMAS JOHN, late from Pennsylvania but now of Prince William Co., 502 acres, adj. JOHN MEAD, Kiticktan Cr., Col. JOHN COLVILLl, JACOB JANNEY, Messrs COCKE & MERCER. (Va. Northern Neck Land Grants 1694-1742, compiled by Gertrude E. Gray)
Note: Part of Prince William Co. later became Fairfax Co. and then Loudoun Co.

Fairfax County, Va. Deed Book C, pp. 206-207:

Indenture 14th May 1751 between JOSEPH HAINES of West Nottingham in Chester County, Pensylvania, Yeoman, and HENRY REYNOLDS of same place, Yeoman, of one part and THOMAS JOHN, of county of Fairfax, Yeoman, and MARY, his wife, of other part... Whereas said THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, , by their Indenture of Lease and Release... bearing date the day of the date of these presents and made between said THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, of one part and the said JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS of other part in consideration therein mentioned.. have conveyed to JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS.. all that parcel of land whereon said THOMAS JOHN, and MARY, his wife, now liveth...covenanted. that said THOMAS JOHN andMARY, his wife, shall on or before 15th May 1753.. content and pay or cause to be paid to JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS .. just sum of One hundred and five pounds Two shillings and Six Pence current lawful money of Pensilvania.. with lawful interest, that is to say, Forty five pounds Nine shillings and Seven pence with interest aforesaid to HENRY REYNOLDS..

Signed: JOSEPH HAINES and HENRY REYNOLDS
Mortgage recorded 25th June 1751.

Fairfax Co., Va Deed Book C, pp. 208-211:

Indenture 9th/10th May 1751 between THOMAS JOHN of county of Fairfax, Farmer, and MARY, his wife, and GEORGE GREGG of samem Farmer... deeds of lease and release..for consuderation of a certain parcel of land conveyed to THOMAS JOHN by good Sufficient Deed of Lease and Release by said GREGG..... sold land beginning at small hickry Standing in one of GREGGS fields...containing 17 acres.. the which tract being part of a Tact containing 200 acres which said 200 acres was conveyed to said THOMAS JOHN by RICHARD WOOD by a deed of Lease and Release bearing date 9th May 1739.. Registered Book D Folio 28 (sic) it being part of a tract containing 600 acres which was confirmed to RICHARD WOOD by patent.. bearing date 13th 1728.9 Registered in Book B folio 216..

Presence of FRANCIS HOGUE, JOHN HOUGH, EDMUNDS SANDS, HENRY BROWN
Lease/Release recorded 25th June 1751

Fairfax Co., Va Deed Book C, pp. 211-214:

Indenture 10th/11th May 1751 between GEORGE GREGG of county of Fairfax, Yeoman, and ELIZABETH, his wife,.. and THOMAS JOHN of same pace. Yeoman.. deeds of lease and release.. Whereas there is a certain parcel of land aforesaid now in Tenor or Occupation of said THOMAS JOHN.. containing 60 acres,it being a part of a tract containing 100 acres which WILLIAM PIERCY bought of RICHARD WOOD out of tract conveying 600 acres and said PIERCY sold the same to CAPT. FRANCIS AWBREY who by his last will and testament left same to his son, JOHN AWBREY, who by his last will and testament invested his wife, MARY AWBREY, with full power to convey same to above said GEORGE GREGG which was done by Lease and Release duly recorded in Clerks office of Fairfax County.. for sum of Ten pounds . solf 60 acres..

Signed: GEORGE GREGG and ELIZABETH GREGG

Presence of FRANCIS HOGUE, JOHN HOUGH, EDMUND SANS, HENRY BROWN

Fairfax County, Va Deed Boo C, pp. 248-251:

Indenture 27th/28th September 1751 between THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife, of Fairfax County, Yeoman, and WILLIAM RAMSAY, Mercht... deeds of lease and release ...for sum of One hundred pounds of current money of Virginia.. sold land on south branch of Kittockton.. being part of a tract of land conformed by JOHN MEAD by patent.. bearing date 27th January 1741 Registered Libre E folio 211... line of COLO. JOHN TAYLOE's corner to a tract of land surveyed for CAPT. JOHN MONOR... by a drain of Goose Crek corner to tract of land surveyed for GEDNEY CLARK.. line of WILLIAM FAIFRFAX, ESQR. .. line of COL. JOHN TAYLOES tract bought of FRANCIS AWBREY.. containing 1050 acres of land...

Presence of NATH. SMITH, BENJA. SEBASTIAN
Lease.Release recorded 1st January 1752.

Fairfax County, Va. Deed Book D , pp. 428-433:

" On Margin, 26 Oct 1757 Sent inclosed to Mr. G. JOHNSTON."
Indenture 21st/22nd June 1757 between WILLIAM RAMSEY of Town of Alexandria, Gent. and ANN, his wife, and ABRAHAM BARNES of Saint Mary's County in Province of Maryland, Gent. deeds of lease and release.. for the sum of 26,164 pounds of crop Tobacco... sold tract of land WILLIAM RAMSEY purchased of THOMAS JOHN and MARY, his wife.. 28th Sep 1751.. recorded Fairfax County Liber C Folio 248 on first day Jan 1752... on south branch of Kittockton.. line of COL.: JOHN TAYLOE's corner tract of land surveyed for CAPT. JOHN MINOR. .. small drain of Goose Creek.. corner land surveyed for GEDNEY CLARK.. line of FRANCIS AWBREY.. 1050 acres..
Signed: WM. RAMSAY and ANN RAMSAY
Presence of JOHN KIRKPATRICK, DANIEL McCARTY, HENRY PIPER, G. JOHNSTON
Lease/Release recorded 22nd June 1757

"May 8, 1739. Richard Wood of Truro Parish, planter to Thomas Johns of Cecile Co., Maryland, planter ... for 120 lbs. Sterl ... tract on sw. side of Quitockton (Kitockton) Mt. On drains of Quetockton Run containing 200 a ... interseds with line of 100 a. bought out of the same tract which was 600 a. bought of Col. Carter land office by abovesd. Wood and sold unto William Persey and is now in possession of John Awbrey untill it interseds with line of Richard Wood Jr ... deeds of lease and release. Richard Wood. Wits: Amos Janney, Joseph Garrett, John Owen, Thomas John Jr. May 9, 1739 rec'd of Thomas John sum of 100 lbs. Sterl. At court Nov. 26, 1739 this release with receit endorsed were proved by wits." [SOURCE: Transcribed by Mari Morrow from Prince William County Deed Book Liber D 1738-1740, abstracted by June Whitehurst Johnson, Copyright 1984, pages 278-282.]

I don't know if George Lewis is kin to my William Lewis in Loudoun or not but he was in one record with them...

1771. The Estate of George LEWIS Dec'd. Errors Excepted, John Oxley,
Administrator. Some names appearing in the account are: James Jones (for
coffin), Richard Roch, George Gregg (for rent), Henry Oxley, Wm Lewis, George
Lewis ... LOUDOUN CO (VA) WILL BK C:144/145. This account against the Estate
of George LEWIS dec'd was returned in court (14 June 1785) and sworn to by
John Oxley, Administrator and ordered to be recorded.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was looking for something else but just came across these records by Pat Duncan that has sent me records on my lines before as I have four lines in Loudoun. This was in a book by her and others on Loudoun County Road Orders 1757-1783.

i. 14 Apr 1767 Order Boo C, p. 246:
Joseph Thomas, Abraham Dehaven, Thomas George and John Steer were appointed to view the Way for a road from Thomas Johns to the Cross Road by Joseph Thomas. ... We find the Road is to Run with the line of John Todhunter and Thomas John the closest thirty poles and the land of George Gregg being by a Spring in the said line.

ii. 14 Apr 1767 Loudoun Order Book C., p. 248:
William Jones is appointed Overseer of the Road for Kirk's Mill to Thomas Johns whereof John Steers was surveyor and now is discharged from that office.

iii. 9 July 1770 Loudoun Court Order Book D., p. 357:
Ordered that Josias Clapham, Gent, Joseph Thomas, William Lewis and Joseph Steer or any of the three of them being duly qualified view the way for a Road the most convenient from Awbrey's Ferry to Leesburg and make the report to the Court.

iv. 13 Dept 1770 Loudoun County Odered Book E. p. 44:
Benjamin John appointed Surveyor of the Road in the room of John Todhunter who is discharged from that office.

v. 12 Nov 1770 Loudoun County Order Book E. p. 71:

John Griffith appointed overseer of the Road from Kirk's Mill in the room of William Jones who is now discharged from the office.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Order Book C., p. 246:

Joseph Thomas, Abrham Dehaven, Thomas George and John Steere were appointed to view the Way for a road from Thomas Johns to the road by Joseph Thomas. .. we find the road is to run with the line of John Todhunter and Thomas Joh .. thirty poles and the land of George Gregg being by a spring .

Order Book C, p. 248 Loudoun Co., Va

William Jones is appointed overseer of the road from Kirk's to to Thomas John's whereof John Steere was totally surveyor and now is discharged.

Loudoun Co., Va Oder Book D, p. 387:

Ordered that Josias Clapham, Gent., Joseph Thomas, WILLIAM LEWIS, and Joseph Steer or any three being duly qualified view the way for a road the most convenient from Awbrey's to Leesburg and make their report thereof to the Court.

13 Sep 1770 Loudoun Court Order Book E, p 44

Benjamin John appointed surveyor of the road in the room of John Todhunter who is discharged from that office.

12 Nov 1770 Loudoun Co Order Book E, p. 71

John Griffith appointed overseer of the road from Kirk's Mill in the room of William Jones who it is now discharged from that office.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
July 31, 1740, E-166, THOMAS JOHN, late from PENNSYLVANIA but now of Prince
William Co. VA, 502 acres, adj. John Mead, Kiticktan Cr., Col. John Colvill,
Jacob Janney, Messrs Cocke & MERCER. (Va. Northern Neck Land Grants
1694-1742, compiled by Gertrude E. Gray)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

WASHINGTON COUNTY, VIRGINIA RECORDS:

Page 1039 has similiar cort on GRIFFITH, WM. and JOHN LEWIS.

Page 1170 has BENJAMIN JOHN on a jury ( 16 march 1784 Washington County Va Court.)

In History of Southwest Virginia and Washington County" by LEWIS PRESTON SUMMERS, page 815 are the following:

15 May 1775-- GRIFFITH LEWIS, 192 acres---- Two Mile Creek, a branch of the South Fork of the Holston River.

15 May 1775--- JOSHUA JONES, 273 acres--- One Mile Creek, Waters of the South Fork of the Holston River.

16 May 1775--- WM. LEWIS, 204 acres---south side of the South Fork of the Holston River. This land was originally Fincastle County, Viginia ( now Washington County)

From New River Notes on Washington County, Virginia the following was found:

Page 226--EDWARD McGINNIS --400 acres--Commissioners Certificate--- on the south fork of Holston River --beginning on the southeast side of the river joining WILLIAM LEWIS land-- June 2 1782--EDWARD McGINNIS -- 400 acres--on the south forkof Holstein, includes improvements, actual settlement made in 1777---August 31, 1781."

In the 1782 Washington County, Virginia Personal Property Tax List the folowing are named:

COL. ARTHUR CAMPBELL"S PRECINCT:

JOSHUA JONES, JENKIN WILLLIAMS, THOMAS JOHN and JOHN THOMAS side by side--- on down is WILLIAM LEWIS, SENR., JOHN LEWIS, WILLIAM LEWIS, and GRIFFITH LEWIS next to each other--on down WILLIAMM LEWIS.. on down BENJAMIN JOHNS.

I have wondered if my William Lewis was kin to Martha Lewis, wife of Rev. Joseph Thomas but have no data to back that up.

Marianne Dillow

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Ancestry Thom... 1465667723000 
pduncan8151 1465733752000 
Ancestry Thom... 1465740174000 
pduncan8151 1465742249000 
Ancestry Thom... 1465745491000 
mdillow31 1523842176000 
Ancestry Thom... 1523884631000 
mdillow31 1523897992000 
Ancestry Thom... 1523901325000 
mdillow31 1523905685000