Search for content in message boards

Horace Johnson and Descendants in Calaveras

Replies: 0

Horace Johnson and Descendants in Calaveras

Posted: 1471008042000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Dryden, Modawell
I have been working on my mother's ancestry and recently visited the county clerk's office in Floresville. We could find very little there about our family that lived in Calaveras in the late 1880's and early 1890's. My great-great-grandmother Sarah Jane (Sallie) Modawell Lankford Johnson, her husband John Paulser (J.P.) Johnson and their children Florence and Alberta lived there while J.P. worked on the Calaveras Bridge and a kiln on Calaveras Creek. J.P. died suddenly in Cuero on March 31, 1890, but Sallie had purchased land and a home in her own name before he died and lived there with the girls, Berta's husband Shelby Long and his family, as well as taking on boarders. I don't think that Sallie remarried after J.P.'s death, and she would have been 50 when he died. My great-uncle Horace Johnson is listed as being born in 1893 in Calaveras (no record), and grew up with Florence and Berta. He married Grace Ritchie Dryden, and they had several children before his death in 1969. I have had trouble finding out more about Horace, who moved to Fort Worth and Mississippi later on. I would love to connect with his children or grandchildren to learn more about the family in Calaveras after J.P. had died.

Find a board about a specific topic