Search for content in message boards

Searching for information on Adams family ancestors

Replies: 7

Re: Searching for information on Adams family ancestors

Posted: 17 Nov 2011 6:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barrington, Overstreet, Downing, Adams
Thanks for all the information! I was reading someone else's query regarding the Tehuanaca Cemetery, and since Mary Frances Adams' property which she inherited after Thos. Barrington's death, was on the Tehuanaca River, I'm thinking there might be some of them buried there. Now I want to go back there next summer and find out more. Thought you might be interested in the following paragraph taken from a book of Freestone County history. This is article No.047 and headed, "James W. Overstreet" by Mrs. Wanda O. Hickey.
"James W. Overstreet and his wife, Frances Blakely Overstreet came to Freestone County, Texas around 1858 from Newton County, Mississippi.It is believed they came here with their friends and relatiives, the Lees, Barringtons, Williamsons, and several of Francis Blakely's brothers.
Little is known of the Overstreet family in Freestone County. James and his sons were farmers and resided around the Cotton Gin Community. Both James and Francis are buried in the Cotton Gin Cemetery."
My grandmother, Ollie Downing, daughter of Caldonia and her 2nd husband, William Downing, referred to some cousins of her mother, Caldonia, as Jim and Tom Overstreet. In the 1900 Census, James Overstreet and family are found in Shawnee, Oklahoma, where Caldonia lived with her Downing children.
How fun to have new cousins, Daniel. Wish I had started all this 20 years ago (but it wouldn't have been so good without the Internet.)

SubjectAuthorDate Posted
PAdams121 2 Oct 2003 12:05AM GMT 
Dan Williams 2 Oct 2003 1:34PM GMT 
PAdams121 2 Oct 2003 2:47PM GMT 
Dan Williams 2 Oct 2003 3:02PM GMT 
markame 14 Nov 2011 4:55AM GMT 
PAdams44 14 Nov 2011 5:26PM GMT 
cuzDANIELglow... 16 Nov 2011 5:53PM GMT 
markame 18 Nov 2011 1:39AM GMT 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic