Search for content in message boards

Looking for Heathcock/Hethcock/Hathcock/Hetchcock Family Info

Replies: 0

Looking for Heathcock/Hethcock/Hathcock/Hetchcock Family Info

Posted: 1441683984000
Classification: Query
Hello! I'm seeking info on my g-gmother. She is known as Louisa Clark West, however, I've learned recently that she was supposedly adopted by the Clark family (unknown if it was a formal adoption) and that Louisa's original last name was Hethcock (I've also seen it spelled as Heathcock, Hathcock, Hetchcock and once as Hitchcock). According to court records (Louisa sued the Clarks....long story) the Clarks took Louisa to Jack County to visit her father (no name given) when Louisa was 12 years of age. Louisa was born in 1872, so the visit was roughly around 1880 or so. The name of the father is not mentioned but, according to these court records, her father would have been in his mid-80s.

More information from the court records state that Louisa had been living from place to place in the neighborhood when the Clarks took her in at 2 1/2 years of age. The Clarks kept Louisa for approximately 6 months until a half sister took Louisa. The half-sister kept Louisa for a "short time" before returning her to the Clarks.

Louisa is my maternal grandmother's mother. My grandmother never knew her as Louisa died when my grandmother was approximately 2 years old. I'm just digging around trying to get information on my g-grandmother and am hoping something in this story sounds familiar.

Find a board about a specific topic