Search for content in message boards

William Stagner 1815/18-1870

Replies: 0

William Stagner 1815/18-1870

Posted: 1532355555000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stagner
I am trying to find information that can help me locate the parents of my 4th great-grandfather William Stagner. According to census data, he was born sometime between 1815-1818 in either South or North Carolina, but since pre-1840 censuses only list head of household name I can't pin point his exact birth or parents.

He then disappears until Nov of 1837/38 where he marries his first wife (Elizabeth Throgmarton,my 4th great-grandmother) in Cole County, Missouri. He then disappears again until 1845 when he is on a census in Colorado County, Texas and from there he makes his way to Fayette County sometime between 1850-1860. His first wife, Elizabeth, Died sometime around 1862 and he remarries Mary Ann Harrell in 1864. William died in May of 1870 and is buried at the Stanger Cemetery that sat on the land that once was Benjamin Helton's (who is my 2nd great-grandfather) but it is believed that the cemetery no longer exists due to the current land owner covering it up. I do know that his first child, Catherine Matilda was born in 1838 in Cole County, Missouri and then his 2nd child, Eliza, was born in 1840 in Arkansas and then the rest were born in Texas. So I assume his missing whereabouts from 1837 to 1845 was just him and his family traveling from Missouri to Texas.

I know my family history from Me all the way up to him, but I cannot figure out exactly who his parents are. I am fairly certain that either his father or grandfather is Henry Stagner, but I still cannot find concrete evidence to verify that. What puzzles me most is that I cannot find any trace of him from the time of his birth up to his marriage around 1837. It could simply be the fact that 1840 would have been the first Census that he would have been the age to be a head of household, but he would have been of Tax paying age between 1831-1834 but does not show up on Tax Rolls.

There are a lot of Stagners in Missouri so I am led to believe that maybe he had been living in Missouri for a while since that is also where he married his first wife. If anyone has any information that can help me in anyway, it would be greatly appreciated.

Find a board about a specific topic