Search for content in message boards

Daffron, Dafford, Dafur sound-alikes

Replies: 2

Re: Daffron, Dafford, Dafur sound-alikes

Posted: 1502454031000
Classification: Query
Thank you for your idea! Hamilton County is correct, and the name was spelled Dauphin in 1860.

I wrote about this family in my first book (2007), The Ancestors of Two Brothers: Thomas Earl Garner and Robert Paul Garner, which (I hope) can be found at https://dcms.lds.org/delivery/DeliveryManagerServlet?dps_pid...

The index begins after page 770.

The 2016 update (which I hope will soon be found at the LDS site) contains this paragraph:

The reference to Joel Dofer/Dafer in Henry County, Tennesse, page 68, is an error. The family was in Henry County, Georgia, not Tennessee and later census indexers have seen the name as Joel Pope. Regarding the name, I was clutching at straws and took the indexer’s reading as correct; and I simply wrote down the wrong state as I researched at the National Archives branch in Kansas City—back in the days when research was done by looking at microfilm and extracting, on the proper year’s blank census extraction form, whatever was found. Everything about Henry County and all my reasoning about nearness to Illinois and Kentucky must be discounted. The Joel Daffron who enlisted at Knoxville, Tennessee and died at Bowling Green, Kentucky is definitely Billie’s father, but he was living in Hamilton County, Tennessee in 1850 and 1860. While I had looked at him, living with Mary (wife?, sister?) and childless in 1850 (the handwritten census looks like Doffron), his name was spelled Dauphin in 1860 and I didn’t find him.

I was simply barking up the wrong tree when I merged Joel Daffron who died at Bowling Green with Joel Pope of Henry County, Georgia.

I am not subscribing to Ancestry at the present time, so correspondence will have to be on this board, which I accessed through Rootsweb.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
geniegreen 947764800000 
jmdaffr 1502217163000 
Lila Niemann ... 1502454031000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic