Search for content in message boards

Henry Washington Brown, Susan Ligon, Henry County, Tennessee, 1830's

Replies: 1

Henry Washington Brown, Susan Ligon, Henry County, Tennessee, 1830's

Posted: 1471230790000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1471230902000
Surnames: Brown, Ligon
Henry Washington Brown appears in the 1830 and 1840 Henry, Tennessee Census records. His wife, Susan Ligon, is deceased by the 1840 Census. Henry Washington Brown then remarried to a Catherine Parker and moved with his children to Holmes, Mississippi.

I am trying to locate proof that Henry Washington Brown and Susan Ligon were the parents of James Jackson Brown, Richmond J. Brown or Henry Washington Brown Jr..

Henry Washington Brown Jr. was living in Lextington, Holmes, Mississippi in 1840.

A Henry Brown patented 77.86 acres in Holmes, Mississippi on November 2nd of 1850 and an additional 37.69 acres on October 1st of 1851.

Henry Washington Brown Jr. was already living in Holmes, Mississippi for a decade before his father followed him without patenting any land, which leads me to believe that the Henry who patented the land was Henry Washington Brown Sr. but this is uncertain.

Henry Washington Brown Sr. died some time after the 1850 Holmes, Mississippi Census was taken and since I have no evidence of him surviving past that date, I can not be certain that it was him who patented the land.

I have not been able to locate a will for either Susan Ligon or Henry Washington Brown Sr.. If he was a land owner in either Henry County, Tennessee or Holmes, Mississippi, the matter of who inherited his land must have involved court documentation or quit claim deeds on the land somewhere, as Catherine Parker is not found after the 1850 Holmes, Mississippi Census either.

Can anyone add to this?
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
historyresear... 1471230790000 
judyartley261... 1480015541000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic