Search for content in message boards

surname SMALL from Greene Co.

Replies: 0

surname SMALL from Greene Co.

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 1:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SMALL
Hello, are there any males surnamed SMALL who read this message board who has done a DNA test or be willing to do so? Daniel Small is our brickwall..We think he was born 1772 in VA, came with John Donelson and Thomas Hutchings in 1779 down the Tennessee River when they established Nashboro(Nashville). His g grand daughter wrote that he was a 7 year old orphan. So, my cousin, Dr. T H Small did the FamilyTreeDNA and we got a 37 marker exact match with a W. Small, who has his line back to Benjamin Small, son of John and Alyse Small. Our exact match with him means we have a 99% chance of a common ancestor within 10 generations. Our Daniel is o0ur 6th generation...so John who married Ann Grove is a good guess for the common ancestor. We just cannot figure out how to get there. Our Daniel Small left no info as to his parentage. He might have been son of Matthew Small, son of John and Alyse... Do you have any info that could give me some leads? Daniel married Col. Thomas Hutchings dau Mary Polly Hutchings in 1798 in Nashville, Davidson Co. TN and in 1821 they moved to Henderson Co., TN. He went on a business trip to Madison Co.TN in 1838 and was never heard from again...For a long time we tried to find a connection to the Matthew, Benjamin, John Knight Small families that settled in Greene Co, but it doesn't work. However, we know for a fact that those families descend from John Knight Small b: abt 1736 in Perquimans Co., NC or Nansemond Co. VA who descended from a Benjamin Small, b. abt 1691 in Nansemond Co.,VA, who was the son of John Small and wife Alyse Hollowell, well documented. Our DNA results indicate our Daniel has a MRCA (most recent common ancestor) from that line. If a male SMALL today would do the Family Tree DNA, we may eventually get these families straightened out. Also, you save $20 if you buy the test kit through the Small Surname Project.
Hope to hear from someone.
You can email me direct at melibob4 at texasbb dot com Blessings, Meli

Find a board about a specific topic