Search for content in message boards

Life and Marriages of Chadwell Campbell

Replies: 3

Life and Marriages of Chadwell Campbell

Posted: 1478390356000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbell, Williams, Lanham, Ensor
I am looking for details about the life and marriages of my great grandfather, Chadwell (Chad or Cadd) Campbell (1863-1910). He had three marriages, and my grandfather was from his third wife.

Chad was initially married to Dona Beunie Ensor in Claiborne county on July 31 1884, according to their marriage license. Chad and Dona had a child Marium in 1885, according to Marium's death certificate, which indicates her parents and that she was born in Wheeler, Virginia.

Chad was next married to Cora Bell Lanham in Claiborne county on Dec 20 1891, according to their marriage license. Cora and Chad had 4 kids – Viola, Nathan, Galdiel and Cecil, which is indicated in the 1900 census in district 6 of Claiborne county (Chad is listed as Cadel Campbell). Cora died in 1905, according to her grave marker in the Lanham cemetery. The kids appear with relatives in the 1910 census, as follows. Viola is living with Cora's younger sister Cornelia Lanham, who is married to Chad's younger brother John David Campbell. Nathan and Cecil Lorenzo are living with Cora's younger brother Joseph Lanham. I can’t find any records for Galdiel other than the 1900 census. I can’t find records for Viola after the 1910 census.

Chad’s third marriage was to Mary Elizabeth Williams, though I haven’t found a marriage license for them. They had one son (my grandfather) Albert Linton Campbell, who was born 1908 in Tazewell. Chad died in 1910 when my grandfather was 2 years old. Census records show that Mary became a dressmaker in Middlesboro, Kentucky after Chad’s death.

I would really like to find out anything possible about Chad’s death, which occurred at age 47. I am especially interested in why Mary went to Middlesboro after Chad’s death. Not finding the marriage license for Chad and Mary may be due to the courthouse fire, but I wonder if there was more to the story. Any information about what caused people to migrate from Tennessee through to Middlesboro around that time, would also be very helpful. I greatly appreciate any information or clues that can be provided.
Thank you.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
Elizabeth Cam... 1478390356000 
thomasker2 1478719351000 
Elizabeth Cam... 1478731910000 
Elizabeth Cam... 1490314234000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic