There are several places you may want to look for a Richard Latham, if you haven't already. One is possibly in the Old Pendleton District of SC site on the net. When you type that in and pull it up go to the families (Lathem) in SC. There is a Lathem family there with lots of records.
Here is a person who is related to Lathans (the spelling of this names seems to change quite a bit!) Bill Lathan [email@example.com
]. He knows quite a lot about his Lathan/Lathams. Some were in SC/NC also in his line and they were from Ireland originally, I believe. But, I don't think he has an Andrew in his line.
Here is my line:
Descendants of James Anderson D. Latham
1. JAMES ANDERSON1 D. LATHAM was born October 15, 1811 in South Carolina, and died February 10, 1873 in Hico, Hamilton, Texas. He married (1) MARY COLLINS October 18, 1838 in Troup Co., Georgia, daughter of LEVIN COLLINS. She was born in Troupe Co., Ga., and died Bef. 1855 in Alabama or Georgia. He married (2) MARY SUSAN WILMOUTH DUKE January 13, 1853 in Russell Co., Alabama, daughter of HARDIMAN DUKE and MARY. She was born August 10, 1825 in Georgia, and died February 13, 1883 in Hico, Hamilton Co., Texas.
Notes for JAMES ANDERSON C. LATHAM:
(1) - Notes from Robin: I have gathered this from different sources. Some I found from legal records. I think the family you are researching and this one link together. John Latham was b. abt. 1740 Va. and d. 1818 Randolph Co NC. He had a son named William A. Latham. William was listed in Old Pendleton Dist SC 1810 & 20. He lived in the part of Pendleton that became Anderson Co SC. He is listed in Anderson Co., SC Census 1830 & 1840. (He has a son listed in his home the right age for J A D Latham).
#1. William A. Latham born between 1765-70 d. Anderson Co., SC. between 1840-50. He married Jane. Known children for William and Jane were:
#2. David Latham b 1794-1800
David's children were:
#3- John A., Susannah, Andrew Jackson, Hannah, Mahala, David, Sarah & Mary E.
#2.Cornelius Latham b. abt 1800 married Jane.
Cornelius' children were:
#3- Nancy M, William Riley, Margaret, Samuel, Elias, Thomas, James H., Elizabeth Ann & John A.
#2. William Latham Jr b. abt 1812 SC married Jane Harris.
William Jr.s' children were:
#3- William, Sarah Jane, Martha Ann, Samuel N. & John.
Census Record: One Latham in 1810 Pendleton; none in Anderson.
1810 Pendleton District, South Carolina - page 144
John Latham - 22101 - 02110
Explanation of columns from Ancestry.com:
Enumerators of the 1810 census were asked to include the following
categories in the census: name of head of household, number of free white
males and females in age categories: 0 to 10, 10 to 16, 16 to 26, 26 to 45,
45 and older.
1820 Pendleton District - page 213
William Latham - 101101 - 32001
Same page, not nearby:
David Lathem - 000100 - 00010
(2) - Deeds: SELECTED ABSTRACTS FROM PICKENS CO., SC DEEDS, Volumes A-1 through C-1
BOOK B-1 1831-1839 (This seems to be a different John Lathem family, but could be related to ours in Anderson Co., SC)
NOV 24, 1836 James LATHEM, Anthony LATHEM, Sinkler LATHAM, George LATHEM, John LATHEM, Michael WHITMIRE, John FARR heirs of John LATHEM decided to James MCADAMS. $1570. 302 A. on Jones Fork of Does Creek waters of Saluda River...Witness: Joshua BIRTZ, James MCADAMS JR. p. 339-40
A descendent of William Andy Latham. e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Children of JAMES LATHAM and MARY COLLINS are:
i. MARY JANE2 LATHAM.
2. ii. JAMES RILEY LATHAM, b. 1846, Alabama or Georgia; d. Bell Co., Texas ?.
iii. NANCY ANN 'KITTY' LATHAM, b. 1849, Georgia.
3. iv. WILLIAM ANDY LATHAM, b. Abt. 1839, Georgia.
Children of JAMES LATHAM and MARY DUKE are:
4. v. GEORGE AARON2 LATHAM, b. November 15, 1860, Russell Co., Alabama; d. January 29, 1944, Hico, Hamilton Co., Texas.
vi. SARA MANEN LATHAM, b. April 17, 1854, Russell Co., Alabama.
5. vii. FRANCES SCOLDIN NOSTIC LATHAM, b. October 15, 1855, Russell Co., Alabama; d. December 03, 1932, in her home Hico, Hamilton Co., Texas.
6. viii. MOSES HARDIE LATHAM, b. December 11, 1857, Russell Co., Alabama; d. 1936, Kaufman Co., Texas.
7. ix. SENIA ELIZABETH LATHAM, b. April 18, 1859, Russell Co., Alabama.
8. x. JOHN HENRY LATHAM, b. October 14, 1862, Russell Co., Alabama; d. October 24, 1944, Hico, Hamilton Co., Texas.
xi. MARTHA JOSEPHINE LATHAM, b. March 27, 1865, Russell Co., Alabama.
9. xii. WILMOUTH OPHELIA EVELYN LATHAM, b. March 22, 1870, Raines Co., Texas; d. April 11, 1930, Joshua, Johnston Co., Texas.
I have joined the Latham Group: LATHAM-L@rootsweb.com
It has been very helpful too. Lots of help there.
There were a lot of Lathams/Lathems from NC and VA that came to the area and stayed around Pickens and the Anderson Co. areas. Some had businesses in the old Charleston area too. I am at work, but I think I may have something for you at home that in on a Richard Latham. So, give me a bit and I will get back with you. Maybe we can connect somewhere in this family.
SN in SC