Search for content in message boards

Looking for Pou families of South Carolina.

Replies: 10
Posted: 1505870568000
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pou; Sonntag
Hello. I came across this message while looking for info on Charles Gustave Sonntag. I found he was married to Hattie Pou. Alrhough, I have blood relation to Ms. Hattie, I do have a blood relation to her husband (it gets really mirky).
So apparently, my Great Grandmother was the illegitimate daughter of Charles Gustave Sonntag. And, not only was she illegitimate, but also taboo and unlawful I'm sure (due to the time and place). My Great Grandmother was a "Mulatto". I'm just really interested in knowing more about the era, place and people who would have been in close proximity to the situation as it unfolded.
I was always told that Charles's Mother owned a "General Store", and would have my GG as a lil' girl come through the back way. She would give my GG candies/sweets and sometimes read to/with her, and truly treated her like her granddaughter. But, in public would never receive her in that way. She would still interact with her somewhat, because my GG did look more white. But of course, not in the same loving way she did behind closed doors.
If you could help me by possibly corroborating, that Ms. Hattie's mother in law did in fact own a store. That would be a start. I would greatly appreciate ANYTHING you can share with me.
Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
geishagirl211 1505870568000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic