Classification: Query
Edited: 1484033652000
Surnames: Howard
I am researching the Howard's of Greenville, SC, with the following lineage:

Thomas Howard b. 1760
Son James Howard b. 1789
Daughter Rachel Howard b. 1829
Son James "Buck" Howard b. 1860

Here is where I am stuck. I am trying to find info on James "Buck" Howard's father. According to census records, death certs and newspaper obituary's, I have been able to piece together the following:

Rachel Howard, daughter of James Howard and Rachel Lindsey, had 4 children:

Decatur Moses Howard b. 1852
William L Howard b. 1857
James Howard b. 1860
Malinda Howard b. 1866

Census records show early on that Rachel lived with her parents and her children. Later they only list her as head of household with her children. Never is another male name listed.

For Decatur and William, their death certificates list father unknown and mother Rachel Howard.

For James, father is listed as John Howard, mother is unknown. I found his obituary that states he was survived by his sister, Malinda.

For Malinda, father is listed as Peter Howard, and mother is listed as Rachel Howard.

Does anyone have any information about this John Howard that is listed to be the father of James? On census records the recorded place of birth for the father of all the children is S.C., but I have not found a John Howard in S.C. during this time period with with any documented link to Rachel Howard and her children.

Would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any verifiable info other than the name, John Howard, that they can share regarding James "Buck" Howard's father. Thanks so much!

Crystal
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
dustycotton 1484033478000 
thomasker2 1484236384000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic