Trying to connect to Smith family, 1820s

Replies: 0

Trying to connect to Smith family, 1820s

Posted: 6 Mar 2012 9:59PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Mar 2012 10:02PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Click, Klick, Glick, Cleek
Hello,

I am searching for the parents of Joseph A. Smith, who was born on 19 August 1828 in Union County, in the Moser's Valley area. He was married to Matilda Klick on 23 January 1849 in Middleburg, Snyder County, which was then Swinefordtown, Union County. I do not know either of their parents' names, but their parents were born in Pennsylvania. They were married by J.P. Shindel Jr.

I am hoping to find information connecting Joseph A. Smith to any of the families in Union County at the time, Smith or otherwise.

He and Matilda moved to Ohio between 1848 and 1852. The earliest census I have of them is from 1860. They are possibly in the 1850 census in Delaware County, Ohio, with a John Smith, born in Pennsylvania about 1777, living with them. However, I am not certain that it is them, although I have not been able to find another couple of the proper age in Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Their children were named Benjamin, Charles Edson, Sarah Jane, Amanda, Mary Elizabeth, Clara Viola, Joseph Henry, John Dilknow, and Luzetta Alwilda.

Joseph and Matilda remained in Ohio until their deaths, living in Crawford, Morrow, Marion, and Sandusky counties.

I have Joseph's pension file and military service record from the Civil War, but they do not refer to his time in Pennsylvania except to note his birth place and date and acknowledge the marriage. I would be very grateful for any suggestions for sources from Union County. I've checked Charles Fisher's early births and marriages books but haven't been able to access many county histories.

Thank you,

Elizabeth Raczkowski

Find a board about a specific topic