Search for content in message boards

For Sale: History of Indiana County

Replies: 9

Re: For Sale: History of Indiana County

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 4:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 11 Apr 2012 4:32PM GMT
Yawn......

Just because a company is big doesn't mean they are not unethical. Google just got slammed by the courts for violating thousands of copyrights for their books on line idea.

As for educating me as to the who's who of the Genealogy World don't begin to think you can. I've been functioning in the Genealogy World for almost 4 decades as a researcher, author, consultant, teacher, speaker and web master. I have written 9 books and have over 280 articles in various publications and helped create Genealogical Software. I have also created 5 templates for Genealogy that can be used with Microsoft Access.

To teach you one more thing about copyright, in the case of data, the data is NOT copyrightable, but the format of presentation is. The one and only time Congress was considering giving copyright protection to data and databases was in 2001. The 911 fiasco blew that legislation away and it has NEVER been reconsidered since.

As for Copyright of the "History of Indiana County," IF the current format of that book has been reproduced or rescanned without the permission if the Society, that IS a violation of their copyright and their format of the book.

It could be debated as to whether or not the original book should or could have been fully copyright protected because it did contain materials that would be classified as data.
Thus only the format of the book would have been protected by the original copyright.

One aside: "Fair use" does come into play to a small degree here for anyone who decides to excerpt pieces of that book for publication. But even that would not begin to protect anyone who republishes the entire book or more than minimal pieces of the book.

It's been my experience that most Genealogists violate any number of Copyrights daily. Even the Census is Copyrighted as are all published obituaries.

Want to learn any more, it will cost you $50 per hour.
Prepaid!
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
geneman1 8 Apr 2012 5:00PM GMT 
nanafivetimes 8 Apr 2012 9:01PM GMT 
RMurray99 11 Apr 2012 2:17PM GMT 
geneman1 11 Apr 2012 3:43PM GMT 
Troup_Bobby 11 Apr 2012 4:28PM GMT 
geneman1 11 Apr 2012 5:38PM GMT 
samuelsen55 11 Apr 2012 6:46PM GMT 
geneman1 11 Apr 2012 8:24PM GMT 
samuelsen55 11 Apr 2012 9:34PM GMT 
geneman1 11 Apr 2012 10:31PM GMT