Search for content in message boards

Seeking Ford Family ca. 1850

Replies: 1

Seeking Ford Family ca. 1850

Posted: 1502225644000
Classification: Query
Edited: 1502226153000
Surnames: Ford, Brown
For years now I have been trying to find any information about a great-great-great grandfather - Clarence A Ford. I haven't been able to find any record of his birth, marriage, or additional Ford family members that may have lived in Pennsylvania around the time of his birth (Abt. 1849-1851). I know that he most likely married his wife, Elsa "Elsie" Fairlove Brown between 1870-1873, and that the marriage would have most likely occurred in Pennsylvania.

I know more about Elsie, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1853 and appears in the 1860 census living in Smithfield, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. She also appears with her family in the 1870 census, still in Smithfield.

Clarence & Elsie had their first child, Jay Alverdo Ford, in 1873 in Pennsylvania. Based on this, my best guess would be that she married him some time after the 1870 census was taken, but before the birth of their first child in Nov 1873.

The first time Clarence & Elsie appear together in a record is the 1880 census, where they are living in Burlington, Bradford County, Pennsylvania. There is something written in the 'sick' column for Elsie, but I can't make it out. She had one more child, a daughter named May or Mary, born in Pennsylvania before Elsie died in Nov 1882 (I have a feeling pregnancy did not help her illness).

After Elsie's death, Clarence packed up the family and moved to Montana, where he appears in the 1900 census. Clarence Ford died in February of 1900 or 1901, in Lewis & Clark County, Montana.

Both Clarence & Elsie Ford *BOTH* have headstones in Bradford Co., Penn. *AND* Lewis & Clark Co., Montana. I'm guessing this is because Elsie was interred in Pennsylvania, where she died, and Clarence was interred in Montana, where he died...their children must have decided to keep them together in spirit, and create headstones for the other spouse in both cemeteries.

For any amount it might help, I know Clarence was a sheep farmer in Montana.

This is the extent of my knowledge of the Ford lineage. This is where it dead ends for me, with Clarence Ford. If anyone has any leads, tips, or info that might be useful, please let me know.
SubjectAuthorDate Posted
ErinMFord 1502225644000 
kathrynalexan... 1502295264000 
per page

Find a board about a specific topic