Search for content in message boards

Raymond Ewing Altoona Mirror 2/11/1975

Replies: 0

Raymond Ewing Altoona Mirror 2/11/1975

Posted: 30 Jan 2012 5:07PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: Ewing, Snyder, Riggleman, Karsetter, Hohn
Raymond Ewing Altoona Mirror 2/11/1975
Decker Hollow Man Killed When Clothing Catches Fire

TYRONE— Raymond Ewing, 58, of Decker Hollow Road, died yesterday when his clothing caught fire as he was preparing lunch for himself at his home. A. Paul Vandrew, deputy coroner, listed the cause of death as suffocation resulting from the inhalation of live flame and smoke. According to Mr. Vandrew, the victim apparently was fixing a toasted cheese sandwich in a skillet when cooking oil splashed on his clothing and ignited it. Mr. Ewing, severely crippled since birth, was apparently unable to extinguish the flames. The deputy coroner said nothing in the house was burned although there was a scorched spot on the floor where the body was found. Mr. Vandrew said Mr. Ewing's body was covered with second and third-degree burns. All the victim's clothing had been burned. According to the deputy coroner, Mr. Ewing died at approximately 11:55 a.m. Monday, Feb. 10, 1975. He was alone in the house at the time, and was found at 2:15 p.m. by his brother, Vernon, with whom the victim resided. He was born Nov. 12, 1916, in Snyder Twp., Blair County, a son of William and May (Snyder) Ewing. Surviving are four sisters and a brother, Mrs. Clara Riggleman, of Tyrone; Mrs. Sarah Williams and Vernon, of Tyrone, RD3; Mrs. Dorothy Karsetter of Harrisburg and Mrs. Alice Hohn of Englewood, Colo. Mr. Ewing was a member of the Church of the Brethren, Tyrone, and the Tyrone Blazing Arrow Hook & Ladder Fire Co.

Find a board about a specific topic